KU professor Dr Riaz Ahmed granted bail in illegal weapons case
According to reports, the court heard arguments related to the case and decided to approve the bail request by Dr Riaz Ahmed and ordered him to submit a surety bond of Rs 50,000.
Dr Riaz is a professor for Applied Chemistry at Karachi University. He was taken into custody by Rangers from near Karachi Press Club on Saturday.
Apart from the possession of illegal weapons, he was also accused of being involved in the blasphemy of sacred personalities. The case of possession of illegal weapons is registered against him at Artillery Maidan Police Station.
The accusations of being involved in the blasphemy of holy personalities was categorically denied by Dr Riaz's lawyer.
Besides Riaz Ahmed, Dr Meher Afroze Murad was also taken into custody by the para-military forces. Initially it was also alleged that the said professors had links with Muttahida Quami Movement London chapter.
One of their colleagues Naveen Haider addressed a press conference soon after their detention and refuted any association of her colleagues with MQM.
Moreover, MQM-London stalwart Nadeem Nusrat also endorsed that the teachers were not workers or party members affiliated with MQM London in any capacity.
- Female Lawyer aerial firing clip goes viral on social media (VIDEO)09:28 AM | 30 Nov, 2020
- Live open market Foreign Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - ...09:00 AM | 30 Nov, 2020
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 30 November 202008:30 AM | 30 Nov, 2020
- On the Wrong Side of History11:18 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- 'Young Imran Khan' in old photo09:04 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- Islamabad plans open-air cinema for safe entertainment09:26 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- CokeStudio 2020 lineup revealed06:10 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020