Children draw inspiration from book illustrator at SIBF 2018
SHARJAH - Celebrated children’s book illustrator Claire Richards led a Kids Activities workshop, titled Characters and Books, yesterday at the 37th Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF), currently underway at Sharjah Expo Centre.
Using several of the published children’s books that she has illustrated as inspiration, including Waiting for Hugo and The Five Senses of Love, Richards tasked the children with creating their favourite animal, using two circles to create the body and the head. She then showed the children how to add shadow and enhance the background by adding a skyline, rolling hills and trees.
Once the outlines were complete, the children could allow their imaginations to run wild further, decorating their pictures with splashes of vibrant colour by using a variety of highlighters, illuminated materials, crayons and neon stickers.
It’s the first time that Richards – who lives in Australia – has participated in a literature festival and is impressed at the number and quality of books on display and the high standard of activities on offer at SIBF.
“I found out about the Sharjah International Book Fair from an author friend in Australia,” Richards says. “It’s so exciting to come to another part of the world and see so many books and children so excited to learn more about literature and take part so enthusiastically in the workshops.”
- Sindh launches online education for primary schools amid COVID-1912:29 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Hafeez urges int'l agencies for evaluating losses to ...11:11 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Protests against racism, police violence sparked in major Australian ...10:02 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Complete lockdown in Islamabad on Saturday and Sunday09:45 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan approaches 93,894 cases of coronavirus – 1,935 confirmed ...09:20 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Kylie Jenner tops Forbes' list of the highest-paid celebrities in the ...03:37 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020