Pakistan remembers valiant victims of Gyari avalanche after six years
The fearless soldiers defending the border region at an altitude of about 16,000 feet breathed their last and were buried under 70 feet of snow on the morning of April 7, 2012, making it the worst avalanche of history that Pakistan's armed forces ever experienced.
The region, where the catastrophe occurred, is in the eastern Karakoram range in the Himalaya Mountains and has been the site of intermittent conflict between nuclear-armed neighbours India and Pakistan for several decades.
Avalanches are known to occur frequently in the Siachen region, though casualties from them are generally low due to the fact that they normally strike remote, high-altitude "forward bases" with only a handful of troops. The most devastating one occurred on this day in 2012 aggrieving the whole nation.
On the sixth anniversary of the incident, social media buffs took to Twitter to remember the courage and sacrifices of Pakistan’s armed forces and to pay homage to the fallen soldiers.
6 years on, we still remember the tragedy of #Gyari Sector. Today, in 2012, 135 people (124 soldiers &11 civilians)were trapped under the snow near the Siachen Glacier region.They embraced martyrdom in a fatal avalanche💔 #Pakistan remembers the brave Jawans.Prayers #GyariMartyrs pic.twitter.com/bO1nWsOb9a— SYEDA TUBA AAMIR (@TubaAtweets) April 7, 2018
This poems always gives me goose bumps... pic.twitter.com/6zRp9kUuyf
— Muneeb Nasir (@MuneebNaser) April 7, 2018
After more than a year-long search, former Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani had announced on October 3, 2013 that 133 bodies had been recovered.
The then army chief also said that the entire nation stood by the armed forces of Pakistan in performing their sacred obligation of defence of the country.He also thanked the nation for its prayers and unflinching support to the Pakistan Army.
- AirSial's first Airbus reaches Karachi airport (VIDEO)06:20 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- ‘Loneliest elephant' Kaavan leave Pakistan for Cambodia today05:42 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- Gilgit Baltistan Assembly to elect leader of the House on Monday05:10 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- Pakistan reports 43 new deaths, 2829 fresh cases of COVID-1904:49 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- Covid-19 in Pakistan: These five cities contributing 70% of total ...04:18 PM | 29 Nov, 2020
- CokeStudio 2020 lineup revealed06:10 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Zindagi Tamasha – Pakistan's first Oscar submission04:22 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Maryam Nafees tests positive for coronavirus12:01 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020