Lawyers announce 3-day mourning to protest Quetta's Civil Hospital tragedy
A three-day strike, which starts from today, has been announced by Balochistan lawyers to protest the gun and bomb attack on their fellows.
The community will also observe a "black day" on August 8 (tomorrow) across the country.
Balochistan High Court Bar Association (BHCBA) President Shah Muhammad Jatoi said that no proceedings will be held no August 7 and 9.
Supreme Court's Displeasure
Last month, the Supreme Court heard a suo moto case regarding the tragedy to overview progress made on the suggestions of the inquiry commission. It expressed displeasure over slow implementation and sought from the police, health department and the provincial government in this regard. The court adjourned the case till September 12.
On August 8 2016, terrorists gunned down the then Balochistan Bar Association President Bilal Anwar Kasi. Around 200 people reached the hospital when his body was being shifted to Civil Hospital of Quetta.
Taking benefit of the situation, a suicide bomber exploded himself near the crowd killing 73 people, including 56 lawyers, and injuring over 100 others.
On August 31, the Supreme Court of Pakistan took suo moto notice of the tragedy and formed an inquiry commission under the supervision of Justice Qazi Faez Isa.
Inquiry Commission Report
On December 15 2016, the commission submitted its report to the court slamming the government and its institution for "monumental failure to combat terrorism and perform basic protocols".
In its findings, the report stated that the Federal Interior Ministry did not have 'sense of ministerial responsibility'.
It also requested that Anti-Terrorism Act should be enforced immediately, besides taking action against banned organisations.
The commission also called for authorities to expedite the distribution compensation amount to the heirs of the deceased.
The report had stated that the absence of doctors and other staff of the Sandeman Provincial Hospital increased the severity of the tragedy as some victims had succumbed to their injuries for not receiving timely treatment.
- U19 World Cup: Pakistan beat Afghanistan by 24 runs11:59 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Gold price jumps Rs700 per tola in Pakistan10:22 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan revises up 2020-21 economic growth rate at 5.37%09:50 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- ‘Bismillah’ – Sharmila Faruqui files cybercrime complaint ...06:49 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- 'Kana Yaari' – Coke Studio's hijabi rapper Eva B wins hearts07:31 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021