Jemima terms Atif Mian's withdrawal from EAC 'indefensible & disappointing'
In her official Twitter account, Jemima wrote that it is very disappointing to see that new govt asked an honourable and respected Prof of Economics to stand down just because of his religious beliefs.
Jemima said, “New Pak govt asks renowned and Prof of economics to stand down because of his faith. The founder of Pakistan, “Quaid-i-Azam” appointed an Ahmadi as his Foreign Minister.
Indefensible & v disappointing. New Pak gov asks renowned & respected Prof of economics to stand down because of his Ahmadi faith. NB: The founder of Pakistan, “Quaid-I-Azam” appointed an Ahmadi as his Foreign Minister. https://t.co/qBubETGwOg— Jemima Goldsmith (@Jemima_Khan) September 7, 2018
Earlier today, the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf government has asked Dr Atif Mian, who had been appointed to the Economic Advisory Council (EAC), to step down.
Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said on Twitter, "The government has decided to withdraw Dr Mian's EAC appointment."
حکومت نے فیصلہ کیا ہے کہ عاطف میاں کی اقتصادی مشاورتی کمیٹی سے نامزدگی واپس لے لی جائے،حکومت علماء اور تمام معاشرتی طبقات کو ساتھ لے کر ہی آگے بڑھنا چاہتی ہے اور اگر ایک نامزدگی سے مختلف تاثر پیدا ہوتا ہے تو یہ مناسب نہیں۔— Ch Fawad Hussain (@fawadchaudhry) September 7, 2018
It is not favourable if one appointment causes differences, he further said.
The government was facing a backlash from the different segments of the society over the appointment of Dr Atif Mian in the Economic Advisory Council (EAC).
- Govt will ensure Pakistan fulfills its enormous maritime potential, ...01:22 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Private schools in KP reopened after five months closure12:14 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Toshakhana reference: Nawaz challenges NAB's summoning in IHC11:37 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- COAS, Bill Gates discuss Pakistan's Covid-19 response, resumption of ...10:59 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Momina Mustehsan, Muneeb Butt call out Kangana Ranaut for spreading ...05:43 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- FIR lodged against Saba Qamar and Bilal Saeed05:09 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- Abida Parveen, Ali Zafar and Humayun Saeed among others honoured ...04:39 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020