Global PC sales shows no sign of recovery
A market tracker IDC said it expects worldwide personal computer sales to slide 10.1 percent in 2015 and predicted a 3.1 percent drop for 2016, which would be a fifth consecutive down year.
The market is "expected to stabilize by the end of 2016 and grow slightly" in the following three years, helped by replacement of older machines, IDC said.
The market suffered a 2.1 percent drop in 2014 after a 9.8 percent slump the prior year and a four percent dip in 2012.
PC sales have been hit by a variety of factors including a shift to mobile devices like tablets and smartphones. Over the past year, a strong dollar and economic and political turmoil in parts of the world.
But over time, consumers and enterprises will eventually need to upgrade their PCs and adopt the new Windows 10 operating system.
"Despite the substantial shift in spending and usage models from PCs toward tablets and phones in recent years, very few people are giving up on their PC -- they are just making it last longer," said Loren Loverde, an IDC analyst.
Microsoft recently dropped technical support for Windows XP and will likely do so in the near future for Windows 7, which will force many users to upgrade.
"The free upgrade to Windows 10 enables some users to postpone an upgrade a little, but not indefinitely," Loverde said.
- ‘Marry, divorce, remarry’ – Man weds same woman four times for ...02:20 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- PIA all set to start direct flights from Karachi to Skardu01:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Hong Kong bans flights from Pakistan, other countries over fears of ...01:20 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- PM Imran vows to run collective campaign against blasphemous ...01:03 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Hiba Bukhari wins hearts by reciting Naat07:23 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas appointed goodwill ambassador by Turkey03:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021