Former NICL chief Ayaz Khan Niazi handed seven-year jail sentence
An accountability court in Karachi announced its verdict in the mega land scam case and also barred the six suspects from holding any public office for 10 years each.
Following the court order, the police took the suspects in its custody. Earlier, two suspects in the case sought plea bargain.
The scandal pertains to embezzlement by former NICL chairperson Ayaz Khan Niazi, Mohsin Habib Warraich, then commerce minister (late) Makhdoom Amin Fahim, and several others in the purchase of official land.
FBR springs into action against Pakistanis named ... 09:31 AM | 12 Nov, 2017
KARACHI - The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has started investigations against Pakistanis named in Paradise Papers ...
The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) had filed a reference and had accused the suspects of purchasing official land in Karachi’s Korangi area at a higher price, causing a loss of Rs490 million to the national kitty.
Ayaz Khan Niazi
In November last year, Ayaz Khan Niazi was named in the leaked Paradise Papers records in connection with four offshore holdings in the British Virgin Islands.
One of them was a trust, Andalusian Discretionary Trust, while the other three were established as companies: Andalusian Establishment Limited, Andalusian Enterprises Limited and Andalusian Holdings Limited.
Incidentally, all the three companies were set up in 2010 when Niazi was the NICL chief.
In the records, however, Niazi’s two brothers, Hussain Khan Niazi and Muhammad Ali Khan Niazi, were shown as the beneficial owners whereas Ayaz along with his father Abdul Razaq Khan and mother Fauzia Razzaq acted as director.
In March, the supreme court had directed the accountability court to speed up the probe.
The Supreme Court, in its 2013 verdict, had held that Niazi was appointed as the head of NICL in violation of rules and directed NAB investigations against several top bureaucrats and politicians of the country.
- Two soldiers martyred while thwarting terrorists’ infiltration from ...10:15 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Shaukat Khanum Pink Polo Cup 2021: Habib Metro Lions, Rijas ...09:50 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- FM Qureshi thanks Iranian President Raisi for support on Kashmir issue09:25 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Lulusar Polo in Pink 2021: Two more matches decided on second day09:05 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Water resources essential for ecosystem, human survival: Moonis Elahi08:45 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Hareem Shah's new bold video goes viral06:40 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Alia Bhatt and Ranbir Kapoor to get married in December?05:56 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Sania Mirza becomes a ‘rescue angel’ after Hafeez forgets ...05:24 PM | 27 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021