Karachi Mayor Wasim Akhtar indicted in two more May 12 violence cases
Of the total accused in the cases, as many as 21 including the mayor appeared before the court on Saturday and pleaded 'not guilty' to the charges which include clauses related to attempted murder, creating unrest and spreading terror.
Fifteen others nominated in the cases had already been declared absconders by the court for continued absence.
The court ordered the witnesses to appear before it in the next hearing.
SHC orders formation of JIT to probe May 12 ... 09:55 AM | 11 Sep, 2018
KARACHI - The Sindh High Court (SHC) on Tuesday ordered the formation of joint investigation team (JIT) to probe the ...
The ATC had already indicted Akhtar and the other accused this year in two separate cases pertaining to the May 12 massacre.
On May 12, 2007, clashes and gunfights between rival political parties erupted when deposed chief justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry arrived at the Jinnah International Airport.
Karachi roads turned into the battlefield as Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), Awami National Party (ANP), and Pashtunkhwa Milli Awami Party (PMAP) activists, who supported the judge, and the pro-government Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) activists took to the streets against each other.
More than 40 people were killed and several hundred were left injured during the clash. The violence continued for several days, culminating in events that led to the historic Lawyers’ Movement.
Akhtar was the provincial home adviser to the chief minister at the time.
Every year, the legal fraternity observes May 12 as a ‘Black Day’, with demands to thoroughly probe the carnage and try those responsible.
- At least 13 civilians shot dead by Indian army in case of 'mistaken ...12:24 PM | 5 Dec, 2021
- Co-actor held for recording, sharing nude videos of stage actors in ...11:49 AM | 5 Dec, 2021
- Sialkot lynching: Priyantha’s body to reach Sri Lanka on Monday, ...11:27 AM | 5 Dec, 2021
- Nation remembers war hero Major Akram on 50th martyrdom anniversary10:53 AM | 5 Dec, 2021
- M-Tag made mandatory for all vehicles on M2 motorway10:26 AM | 5 Dec, 2021
- Meesha Shafi, mother file petition for apology in Ali Zafar ...11:59 PM | 4 Dec, 2021
- WATCH – Shahveer Jafry and Ayesha Beig share details of how they ...08:21 PM | 4 Dec, 2021
- Katrina Kaif and Vicky Kaushal's wedding 'confirmed'11:26 PM | 4 Dec, 2021