Hajj corruption case: Hamid Saeed challenges trial court verdict in high court
Earlier, the special court had sentenced Kazmi to 16 years in jail for corruption in the annual government hajj scheme.
In his High Court petition, the ex-minister stated that he had not appointed Rao Shakeel as Director General (DG) Hajj or contracted buildings for pilgrims to stay in during Hajj.
He pleaded the court to declare the special judge’s ruling null and void.
The Hajj corruption scandal had earlier rocked the country between 2010 and 2012, leading to the removal of both Hamid Saeed Kazmi and the ex-minister for science and technology Azam Swati from the federal cabinet.
The Supreme Court took suo motu notice of the case in 2010.
Kazmi was also imprisoned for nearly two years over charges of irregularities in the 2009 government hajj scheme.
- Missing instructor pilot’s body recovered from Balochistan03:49 PM | 5 Dec, 2021
- BANvPAK: Rain frustrates Shaheens and Tigers as Day 2 of second Test ...03:28 PM | 5 Dec, 2021
- Jhang Assistant Commissioner gunned down over enmity in Chiniot02:29 PM | 5 Dec, 2021
- Take a look inside Fawad Khan’ star-studded birthday bash in Dubai01:52 PM | 5 Dec, 2021
- Co-actor held for recording, sharing nude videos of stage actors in ...11:49 AM | 5 Dec, 2021