India: Manmohan Singh calls for withdrawal of Citizenship Amendment Act
NEW DELHI – Former Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has called for withdrawal of the controversial Citizenship Amendment Act.
In his article in Indian newspaper 'the Hindu', Manmohan Singh said India has slid from a liberal democracy to a majoritarian state and faces social disharmony and economic slowdown.
Pointing out to the anti-Muslim violence in New Delhi last month, he said the current situation in India is very grim and morose and state institutions failed to protect citizens during the violence.
The former Indian Prime Minister wrote that investors are unwilling to undertake new projects in India and communal tensions are further reinforcing their reluctance.
BJP fumes as UN rights chief moves top Indian ... 08:45 AM | 5 Mar, 2020
UNITED NATIONS – The United Nations has approached the Indian Supreme Court to challenge the controversial ...
- LHC extends Shehbaz Sharif's bail in assets beyond means case02:09 PM | 7 Jul, 2020
- Two Indian soldiers commit suicide in IOK01:49 PM | 7 Jul, 2020
- Usman Mukhtars short film 'Bench' wins at South Shore Film Festival ...01:32 PM | 7 Jul, 2020
- Model with Down syndrome featured in Gucci Beauty Campaign in Italian ...11:40 AM | 7 Jul, 2020
- Dreams are the first place where you see yourself as a successful ...05:39 PM | 6 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020