Angela Merkel is Time's Person of Year 2015
The magazine cited her role in Europe's crises over migration and Greek debt, the BBC reported.
Angela Merkel had provided "steadfast moral leadership in a world where it is in short supply", editor Nancy Gibbs wrote.
Ironically, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi - the chief of terrorist organisation “Islamic State of Iraq and Syria” - was named runner-up and third place went to US presidential hopeful Donald Trump who recently called for travel ban on Muslims.
Ms Gibbs wrote of Mrs Merkel: "For asking more of her country than most politicians would dare, for standing firm against tyranny as well as expedience and for providing steadfast moral leadership in a world where it is in short supply, Angela Merkel is 'Time's Person of the Year'."
Citing the refugee and Greek economic crises, along with the Paris terror attacks, Ms Gibbs said: "Each time Merkel stepped in. Germany would bail Greece out, on her strict terms. It would welcome refugees as casualties of radical Islamist savagery, not carriers of it.
"And it would deploy troops abroad in the fight against ISIS [Islamic State]. You can agree with her or not, but she is not taking the easy road. Leaders are tested only when people don't want to follow."
Ms Merkel joins an eclectic list of former winners, including Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Mahatma Gandhi, Winston Churchill and Richard Nixon.
She is only the fourth woman since 1927 to be named winner and the first in 29 years.
Last year's award went to medics fighting the Ebola outbreak in western Africa.
Time Person of the Year 2015
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
Black Lives Matter
- This Pakistani city will be the first to have coronavirus vaccines by ...09:17 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Top envoy confident about further strengthening ties with Pakistan on ...08:57 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- PU declares MA/MSc Results 2020 – Here's how to check online08:39 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- GCU graduate died during abortion, reveals former class-fellow08:10 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Parliament passes Pakistan Environmental Protection Bill 202007:46 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- #Cannoli – Islamabad café rebrands its logo after facing severe ...07:14 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Bollywood pours in best wishes for Mrs. and Mr. Varun Dhawan06:50 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Remembering Chef Fatima Ali on 2nd death anniversary04:40 PM | 25 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021