British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson resigns over Brexit
Johnson's resignation is a major blow for PM May as her Brexit minister David Davis also quit over her plans for leaving the European Union.
“This afternoon, the prime minister accepted the resignation of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary,” May's Downing Street office said in a statement on Monday.
“His replacement will be announced shortly. The prime minister thanks Boris for his work,” the statement added.
Johnson had reportedly criticised May's plan for retaining strong economic ties to the EU even after Brexit, referring to the plan as “polishing a turd”.
He was due to co-host a summit on the Western Balkans in London on Monday but did not show up. Germany's junior foreign minister Michael Roth tweeted: “We're still waiting for our host”.
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 16 May 202108:51 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Pakistan FM discusses Palestine issue with Chinese counterpart amid ...10:42 PM | 15 May, 2021
- UAE’s Etihad, flydubai airlines cancel flights to Israel amid ...09:23 PM | 15 May, 2021
- KP IG’s brother dies in Larkana road accident08:37 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Bollywood diva Madhuri Dixit turns 5404:47 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Here's what your favourite stars wore on Eid-ul-Fitr11:51 AM | 15 May, 2021
- ‘Uncle Sargam’ — Renowned columnist, TV artist Farooq Qaiser ...09:19 PM | 14 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021