Careem apologises for political referencing in promo codes as boycott campaign gathers steam
As part of its campaign tagged #CareemforDemocracy, the service released a number of promo codes with political taglines with a special reference towards the embattled Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz, a move which promoted the firm to tender an apology.
Days before the Avenfield verdict, Careem launched a series of promos with the most noticeable 'AFTERNUNN', in a reference to the popular catchphrase of former premier Nawaz Sharif, 'Mujhy Kyun Nikala'.
Besides, it also released other promos 'DHARNA', 'JAANNISAR' and 'CAPTAIN', in an apparent taunt to the loyalists of PML-N.
Soon, the promotion was met with hostility with a great number of people vowing to #BoycottCareemPakistan for its lack of political neutrality and apparent favouritism towards PTI.
People, especially the ones claiming allegiance to PML-N, spoke up against the promo codes which were used to poke fun at their party, portraying PTI in a neutral manner.
The social media backlash stirred concerns among the marketers of the service, who found it better to apologise and advocate democracy in the country.
We sincerely apologise for hurting your sentiments. Careem is politically neutral and our election taglines covered all popular political slogans. Our singular aim is to get everyone to the polling stations. #CareemForDemocracy pic.twitter.com/VoDMhbLM8q— Careem Pakistan (@CareemPAK) July 9, 2018
'We sincerely apologise for hurting your sentiments. Careem is politically neutral and our election taglines covered all popular political slogans,' said the service in a Twitter message.
The clarification came after it faced a Twitter storm for its selection of marketing strategy at a time when the country is caught up in a fraught election season.
A large number of Careem users were seen deleting their app and shaming the service for its irresponsible behaviour, reminding the service providers of the power of customer dissatisfaction.
— ®️??گوجرانوالہ دا سویلین (@MSajidShad) July 9, 2018
Your Pakistan branch is involved in political activities against Ex PM Nawaz Sharif and in favor of Imran Khan. Don't let them politicize your name. They were also reported a couple of days ago for political affiliation and activities.#BycottCareemPakistan
— غدّار ملنگ (@MalangZM) July 8, 2018
— Adeel Abdullah (@adeelabdullah62) July 9, 2018
Let its #BycottCareemPakistan who the hell they are to dis respect some one ideology— Muhammad Rafi (@rafidone) July 9, 2018
Interestingly, this is not the first time the service apparently tried to 'troll' the N-leaguers as it also released such promos in July last year after Pakistan's top court showed Nawaz Sharif the door in the Panama Papers case.
Careem with calibri 😂😂— JeRry ツ (@LeMeJeRry_) July 15, 2017
Aisy Msgs hi aty mujhy to 😂😂😂 pic.twitter.com/mAvbYJMZWI
- OIC resolution calls upon Israel to stop rights violations, terrorism ...09:52 PM | 16 May, 2021
- PIA plane carrying 1 million doses of Sinovac vaccine lands in ...08:49 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Biden phones Netanyahu, Abbas as death toll in Israeli airstrikes on ...07:54 PM | 16 May, 2021
- Cyclone Tauktae – Heavy rains kill 4, affect over 42,000 in Sri ...06:14 PM | 16 May, 2021
- US forces leave key Afghanistan military base05:22 PM | 16 May, 2021
- ‘New beginnings’ – Ghana Ali all set to tie the knot01:19 PM | 16 May, 2021
- MD Glam on why women should say no to skincare products made from ...10:01 AM | 16 May, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 9 million Insta followers in style10:06 PM | 15 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021
- 10 Tips for Success during the Last Ashra of Ramadan08:26 PM | 7 May, 2021
- Stars who have insured their body parts07:06 PM | 4 May, 2021
- Best-dressed Stars at Oscars Red Carpet 202105:52 PM | 2 May, 2021