World Bank quashes reports of money laundering by Nawaz Sharif
In a statement issued by the Washington-based multilateral agency hours after the Nation Accountability Bureau’s (NAB) announcement, it rejected that its Remittances and Migration Report of 2016 levelled $4.9 billion money laundering accusation against the former premier.
“In the past day, there have been media reports citing the World Bank’s Remittances and Migration Report of 2016. These media reports were incorrect,” read the press release.
“The World Bank’s Remittances and Migration Report is an effort by the World Bank to estimate migration and remittances numbers across the world. The report does not include any mention of money laundering nor does it name any individuals,” it added.
The orders of inquiry into money laundering allegations against the high profile person would create problems for the country internationally as the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) has already decided to put Pakistan on a list of the countries that financially support terrorism, with effect from June.
The WB in the press release also referred to a statement by the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) which rejected estimates of US$4.9 billion remittances from Pakistan to India on September 21, 2016. The central bank refuting the $4.9 billion remittances number provided an explanation of the methodology used in the World Bank report and the official remittances numbers.
In a press release, the anti-corruption watchdog took notice of the media reports regarding alleged transfer of $4.9 billion to India by the ex-PM and others outside the country.
- Northern’s Haider Ali trends on Twitter after blasting batting in ...06:42 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Indian national held for crossing into Pakistan illegally, booked ...05:55 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Vice Admiral Amjad Niazi appointed new Pakistan Navy chief05:33 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- PTI’s Firdous Naqvi resigns as Sindh opposition leader05:22 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- The fault is not in our laws, our mindset needs to change: Mehwish ...02:59 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Rhea Chakraborty 'an active member of a drug syndicate:' NCB02:26 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Lion King sequel officially in the works01:46 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020