Global warming could push 100 mn more into poverty: World Bank
The problem of climate change is already hampering efforts to reduce poverty, the Bank said, and the poorest people are already suffering more than others from lower rainfall and extreme weather tied to warming.
"Without rapid, inclusive and climate-smart development, together with emissions-reductions efforts that protect the poor, there could be more than 100 million additional people in poverty by 2030," the Bank said.
The report, "Shock Waves: Managing the Impacts of Climate Change on Poverty," sounded an alarm for the need for tough action at the COP-21 Paris global summit on climate change.
On Friday, the United Nations warned that nations' carbon-cutting pledges go nowhere near far enough to prevent warming, and that much greater commitments are needed at the November 30-December 11 summit.
The World Bank report said the most impoverished people in the world are already being hurt badly by extreme events tied to the warming trend, including heat waves, drought and flooding, because they are both more dependent on the land and live in regions more at risk that lack good public services.
"The poor are more vulnerable to climate-related shocks than wealthier people because they are more exposed, lose more in relative terms, and lack the financial systems and social safety nets that would allow them to better prepare and cope," it said. It laid out a stark set of forecasts.
- Imran Khan arrives at Nur Khan air base in a private plane for ...03:02 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- SBP governor confident of $1bn Sukuk repayment before due date02:44 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- vivo Y35 launched in Pakistan — price, specification, camera02:19 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Watch — Pakistan’s new CJCSC Gen Sahir Shamshad Mirza wins hearts ...01:42 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Sania Mirza rubs shoulder with husband Shoaib Malik amid divorce ...01:09 PM | 26 Nov, 2022
- Humaima Malick pays special tribute to Anjuman Shaheen at LUX Style ...10:05 PM | 25 Nov, 2022
- Hassan Ahmed reacts to wife Sunita Marshal's remarks from latest ...11:42 PM | 25 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022
- India falls behind Pakistan, Myanmar in Global Hunger Index02:30 PM | 16 Oct, 2022