Syria bombing: Pakistan to impeach diplomat for not voting against mass killings
Speaking on the floor of the National Assembly, Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif asserted that he would inform the house, on Monday, about the reasons behind avoiding a vote on the situation in Syria in the United Nations Security Council’s meeting last month adding that the envoy would be impeached for such move.
“The Pakistani envoy did not cast vote against atrocities on Syrian people and it is a matter of shame to be in an international forum and not voting for our Muslim brethren," said Asif and added that the person responsible will be impeached and stern action will be taken.
The minister was responding to the questions asked by Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) chief Fazlur Rehman, who told the house that eight Muslim countries were the member of the UN committee but three of them, including Pakistan, abstained from voting which was conducted against the massacre in Syria.
"Why Pakistan remained absent during voting and who was representing the country there. The parliament wants to conduct impeachment of the envoy responsible for it. The foreign minister must take notice of it,” said the JUI-F chief.
Fazal deplored that when Saudi Arabia requested for deployment of the Pakistani Army on its soil, a section in the country raised a hue and cry over it but the same class was silent over the Syria killings.
“Now the entire Pakistani nation should protest against the cruelties in Syria and a resolution must also be passed by the house in this context," he added, however, the resolution could not be passed owing to Lack of quorum.
Let it be known that last month, UNSC voted unanimously in favor of a 30-day cease-fire in Syria, after days of bombardment by the Syrian government on a Damascus suburb left hundreds of civilians dead.
The resolution called for all parties to “cease hostilities without delay” across the country to enable the “safe, unimpeded and sustained delivery of humanitarian aid and services and medical evacuations of the critically sick and wounded.”
UN Secretary-General António Guterres called for the warring sides to honor the temporary truce, however, Pakistan did not cast its vote on the resolution.
- Amazon Prime Day 2020 is happening on October 1309:09 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- HSY, Feroze Khan discuss initiatives to combat harassment on Live ...08:18 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Northern’s Haider Ali trends on Twitter after blasting batting in ...06:42 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Indian national held for crossing into Pakistan illegally, booked ...05:55 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Super well made: Anoushey Ashraf can’t stop praising ...04:35 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- The fault is not in our laws, our mindset needs to change: Mehwish ...02:59 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Rhea Chakraborty 'an active member of a drug syndicate:' NCB02:26 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020