Afghanistan declares 'victory' over ISIS terror group
KABUL – Acting Afghan Interior Minister Masoud Andarabi Sunday announced that the so-called "Islamic State" terrorist group (commonly known as Daesh) has been defeated in the country, while remaining small cells would be eliminated.
The minister declared the victory over the terror group in eastern Nangarhar province, where he was introducing a new police chief, according to Afghanistan's 1TV channel.
Nangarhar is considered to be a key province since it was where the ISIS first emerged in the country in 2014 and established its stronghold.
Andarabi noted that some terror cells still remained in the country, shifting to other provinces, and pledged to destroy them.
The terrorist group had announced the creation of its branch in Afghanistan in January 2015, having launched a number of deadly attacks on civilians and soldiers.
- Pakistan censures extremist mindset of Indian general11:53 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Lahore journalist remanded into FIA custody over anti-state social ...11:27 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- NETSOL technologies to ring Nasdaq closing bell on Jan 2108:56 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Senate body approves bill to curb international organized crimes08:13 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- TLP unrest: Khadim Rizvi's brother, nephew among 86 awarded ...08:07 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Malala biopic director admits he still receives death threats03:39 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Prince Harry makes first public appearance since royal split03:24 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Birthday girl Sajal Aly gets heartwarming message from Ahad Raza's mom03:06 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019