Afghanistan declares 'victory' over ISIS terror group
KABUL – Acting Afghan Interior Minister Masoud Andarabi Sunday announced that the so-called "Islamic State" terrorist group (commonly known as Daesh) has been defeated in the country, while remaining small cells would be eliminated.
The minister declared the victory over the terror group in eastern Nangarhar province, where he was introducing a new police chief, according to Afghanistan's 1TV channel.
Nangarhar is considered to be a key province since it was where the ISIS first emerged in the country in 2014 and established its stronghold.
Andarabi noted that some terror cells still remained in the country, shifting to other provinces, and pledged to destroy them.
The terrorist group had announced the creation of its branch in Afghanistan in January 2015, having launched a number of deadly attacks on civilians and soldiers.
- PM Imran felicitates China on 71st founding anniversary08:29 PM | 1 Oct, 2020
- Here is complete process to apply online for Punjab Rozgar Scheme08:02 PM | 1 Oct, 2020
- Dilip Kumar gets emotional over Pakistan's decision of restoring his ...05:58 PM | 1 Oct, 2020
- Pakistan lodges protest with India for latest ceasefire violation ...05:57 PM | 1 Oct, 2020
- NAB arrests son of PPP's late Amin Fahim for corruption05:54 PM | 1 Oct, 2020
- Shaam Idrees introduces his eldest daughter Dua Idrees04:37 PM | 1 Oct, 2020
- Happy Birthday Naaday Ali, keep making mama proud: Hadiqa Kiani04:12 PM | 1 Oct, 2020
- Haseena Moin to write a special web-series on breast cancer awareness ...03:46 PM | 1 Oct, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020