Labbaik Allahumma Labbaik! Muslims heading to Mecca for Haj 2016
Worshippers from more than 150 countries began gathering on Friday in the city, one of the holiest sites in Islam, to prepare for the five-day pilgrimage starting on Saturday (Today). The Muslims follow the footsteps of their Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) who performed the same rituals about 1,400 years ago.
It is the world's biggest annual gathering of people and all Muslims are expected to do Haj at least once in their lifetime, provided they are well enough and can afford to do it.
The Saudi government is expecting as many as 1.5 million pilgrims for performing Haj, an activity meant to cleanse the faithful of sin and to get close to Allah.
Security has been beefed up in the holy cities to avoid any unfortunate event. A thousand new surveillance cameras have been installed at Mecca's Grand Mosque.
Moreover, for the first time, pilgrims will be given electronic bracelets storing personal and medical information that will help authorities provide care in case of any hapless incident as stampede last year.
Last year, Haj was marred by a deadly stampede that took over 700 lives. The electronic bracelets would have been reportedly provided to pilgrims for the same reason. Last year's stampede deepened tensions between Riyadh and Tehran.
Meanwhile, Director General Haj Dr Sajid Yousafani has appreciated the excellent arrangements made by the Saudi Government and the local administration of Makkah and Madina for facilitating Pakistani pilgrims in the Holy Land.
- Pakistan’s Arshad Nadeem wins javelin gold with career best throw ...11:06 PM | 8 Aug, 2022
- British investigators launch probe into 'misuse' of charity funds by ...10:24 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan slams Indian ludicrous comments against OIC’s remarks on ...09:28 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Interior Minister says ‘performers giving Islamic touch now in need ...08:51 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Sakina Samo's directorial debut to hit cinemas later this month03:51 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Natasha Ali Lakhani’s new bold photos break the internet03:28 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani stars celebrate Eidul-Adha in style06:20 PM | 10 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022