Field Marshal Raheel Sharif: Senior journalist hints at something historic for country's favourite general
According to renowned journalist Arif Nizami, the prime minister has okayed the position for Raheel Sharif - who is also ready to continue serving the country at an alternative post - and an announcement to this effect will be made on September 6, if not August.
The senior journalist further said that he is still not sure about the possible role of Raheel Sharif as a Field Marshal, however, he will be part of the country's national security team hopefully.
Talking about the appointment of new Army Chief, Nizami was of the opinion that Raheel Sharif will play a key role in the selection of his successor and try that someone capable of continuing anti-terrorism operation with the same momentum is given the key role.
To a question, he responded: "While Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was in London for his treatment, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif and Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan visited him to convince him for an extension in the service of Raheel Sharif as Army Chief,however, he did not agree."
As far as the legal process to appoint a new Field Marshal is concerned, the journalist believes that there is no provision in the constitution for such an appointment, however, a constitutional amendment could be helpful to create the honorary position.
It is also worth mentioning here that former President General Ayub Khan was the only person to become a Field Marshal in Pakistan. He took over the position when he was both the Commander-in-Chief of Pakistan Army and President of Pakistan. Then the 1962 constitution was enforced in the country which granted extensive powers to the president.
Field Marshal is generally considered the highest military rank worldwide and is also known as five-star rank - as the appointee is the senior official of all sitting four-star generals. It is an honorary and non-retiring designation and a person may continue working as Field Marshal even after he is retired from military service.
Globally, the great conquerors or the generals who command the forces of two or more countries in the battlefield are honoured with this position.
- US jury finds ex-cop Derek Chauvin guilty of murder in George Floyd ...03:15 AM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Ban on TLP will remain intact despite peace deal, says Fawad01:13 AM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Indian politicians using stray dogs to spread election messages in UP12:49 AM | 21 Apr, 2021
- PAKvZIM – Trophy unveiled ahead of first T20 clash (VIDEO)11:42 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- PM Imran wishes India’s Manmohan Singh speedy recovery from COVID-1911:00 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Ertugrul star Engin Altan flaunts his surfing skills in new viral ...03:29 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Umer Sharif’s birthday bash hosted by Nida and Yasir02:55 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021