21% girls in Pakistan get married before age 18: WHO
Titled, “Demographics of child marriages in Pakistan”, the report states that child marriage remains a serious concern in Pakistan, with 21 per cent of the girls getting married before reaching the age of 18 especially in the rural areas.
The formal marriage or informal marriage occurs before the age of 18 throughout the world, the report said. However, being forced into marriage before one was able to give consent, violates the basic human rights of boys and girls, it added.
The report further that the percentage of child marriage remained high in Sindh, with 72 per cent girls and 25 per cent boys becoming victims to this menace, however, the highest number of girl child marriages were recorded in the tribal areas of Pakistan, with 99 per cent girls married under this unlawful traditional practice.
- British investigators launch probe into 'misuse' of chairty funds by ...10:24 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan slams Indian ludicrous comments against OIC’s remarks on ...09:28 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Interior Minister says ‘performers giving Islamic touch now in need ...08:51 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Mahira Khan and Deepika Padukone's choice of saree leaves netizens ...08:26 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Sakina Samo's directorial debut to hit cinemas later this month03:51 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Natasha Ali Lakhani’s new bold photos break the internet03:28 PM | 7 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani stars celebrate Eidul-Adha in style06:20 PM | 10 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022