SC admits NAB's appeal against suspension of Sharifs' conviction in Avenfield reference
A three-member bench of the apex court, headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar and comprising Justice Mushir Alam and Justice Mazhar Alam Miankhel, held the preliminary hearing on Monday.
In a major relief to the embattled Sharif family, the bench ordered that the defendants' bail in the case would be maintained while the NAB plea would be heard separately.
The apex court remarked that it would see if there was any need to change the bench or constitute a larger bench to hear the appeal.
During the hearing, Khawaja Haris, the counsel for Nawaz Sharif argued that on the basis of evidence, the conviction of those involved in murder can also be suspended.
Former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, his daughter Maryam, and son-in-law Capt (retd) Safdar were awarded 10 years, 7 years, and one year imprisonment, respectively, in the Avenfield apartments corruption reference in July.
However, the Islamabad High Court suspended their sentences and gave a detailed judgment on the petitions filed by the Sharifs.
The next hearing of NAB's appeal against the IHC's suspension of the sentences will take place on December 12, 2018 by the apex court.
A day earlier, the members of former ruling family pleaded the apex court to uphold the verdict of Islamabad High Court.
“The [IHC’s] verdict is based on the facts and the NAB has failed to prove its stance,” they said in their reply.
- Dominant Pakistan rout host Indonesia 13-0 at Asia Hockey Cup10:44 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Pakistani beauty mogul Shiza teams up with Selena Gomez for cookware ...10:17 PM | 24 May, 2022
- No monkeypox case detected in Pakistan, says top health body09:54 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Srha Asghar and Rabya Kulsoom's dance video goes viral06:18 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Humayun Saeed updates fans about upcoming series based on Salahuddin ...07:00 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic’s new bold photos set internet on fire04:40 PM | 24 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022