18 killed several injured in suicide bomb blast in Iraq
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast at a mosque in the predominately Shi'ite neighborhood of Hay al-Amil.
The ultra-hardline Sunni militants of Islamic State who control large parts of Iraq's north and west frequently set off bombs in the capital and further afield.
The funeral was for a member of the Hashid Shaabi, a government umbrella group comprised mostly of Shi'ite fighters seen as a critical force in the battle against Islamic State.
Iraq has been afflicted by sectarian conflict mainly between Shi'ite and Sunni Muslims since shortly after the U.S.-led invasion that toppled Dictator Saddam Hussein in 2003.
The rise of Islamic State has exacerbated those tensions and prompted U.S.-led air strikes on the militants in areas of Iraq and neighboring Syria where the jihadists aim to establish a modern-day caliphate.
- Orange Line officials brutally thrash labourers for taking shelter ...11:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- Non-bailable arrest warrants issued for Suleman Shehbaz in money ...11:25 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- PM Imran talks about Broadsheet revelations, Chan's resignation in ...11:09 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- North Korea unveils ‘world's most powerful’ weapon10:29 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- 'One marriage only,' Akhundzada issues unprecedented guidelines for ...09:51 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- What is the relationship between PM Imran Khan's wife Bushra Bibi and ...05:27 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- Tahmina Javed enters Pakistan's drama industry07:30 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- Mathira reveals about her relationship with ex-husband06:17 PM | 15 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- #2020InReview – Pakistan's initiatives in the year 202010:55 PM | 4 Jan, 2021