Finnish exec hired to bring Nokia mobile phones back in market
HMD Global Oy, a new Finnish company looking to relaunch the Nokia brand for phones as it has hired Pekka Rantala, the former CEO of Angry Birds maker Rovio, as its Chief Marketing Officer.
A Nokia veteran, Rantala worked for the company from 1994 to 2011. He joined Rovio as CEO in 2015 but stepped down after only a year in the job after imposing deep job cuts and restructuring.
Nokia was wrong footed by the rise of smartphones and eclipsed by Apple and Samsung. It sold its entire handset business to Microsoft Corp in 2014 and now focuses on telecoms network equipment.
Microsoft has largely abandoned the business it acquired since then.
HMD's Nokia-branded phones and tablets run on the Android operating system. The devices will be manufactured and distributed by FIH Mobile, a subsidiary of Foxconn Technology. It is yet to give any timetable for the products.
- Pakistan's Gharidah Farooqi is not going to AuratMarch, but why?02:05 PM | 8 Mar, 2021
- PASSEX – Pakistan, Oman navy ships hold joint naval exercise01:25 PM | 8 Mar, 2021
- PDM's long march to reach Islamabad on March 3001:05 PM | 8 Mar, 2021
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-March-08- Updated ...12:35 PM | 8 Mar, 2021
- Bollywood actor Mithunda joins Modi's BJP06:27 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Shahid Afridi confirms Shaheen's family asked for daughter's hand in ...05:46 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Bigg Boss 14 fame Arshi Khan all set for debut in Bollywood01:10 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021