PM Imran discusses Kashmir issue with Donald Trump ahead of crucial UNSC session
The telephonic contact took place on Friday, ahead of the United Nations Security Council meeting on the situation in Indian-occupied Kashmir.
Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi confirmed that the prime minister conveyed Pakistan's position to President Trump and took him into confidence.
Qureshi elaborated that Pakistan, like always, is committed to the peace process and the role Pakistan has played is for the betterment of the region.
The minister highlighted that the steps Islamabad has taken are for the mutual benefit of Pakistan and Afghanistan and for peace and stability.
He confirmed that direct contact had been established with four out of five permanent members of the Security Council and they are aware of Pakistan's stance.
The contact between Prime Minister Imran Khan and US President Donald Trump comes on the day, the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is holding an exclusive meeting on Kashmir, for the first time in 50 years.
The Security Council is holding the consultative meeting in New York to discuss Pakistan's request to debate on India's act of revoking the special status of occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
The closed-door meeting kicked off at about 7 pm (Pakistan time)and the UN political department will brief the council on the situation in Indian-occupied Kashmir; Pakistan and India are not attending the session as both of them are not the members of the security council.
India had abolished Article 370 and Article 35A of its constitution, depriving occupied Kashmir of a special status.
Belgium, Côte d'Ivoire, Dominican Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Germany, Indonesia, Kuwait, Peru, Poland and South Africa are participating in the meeting besides five permanent members.
The meeting has been called by China on Pakistan’s request to discuss the prevailing situation in occupied Kashmir where curfew has been imposed and citizens are being confined to their homes.
- Netflix's big 4Q lifts video service above 200M subscribers11:24 AM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Two Levies personnel among eight killed after speeding bus turns ...11:05 AM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Joe Biden to sworn in as 46th US President today amid tight security10:45 AM | 20 Jan, 2021
- PM Imran to pay a day-long visit to South Waziristan today10:07 AM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan reports 48 Covid-19 deaths, 1,772 new cases09:35 AM | 20 Jan, 2021
- Chinese children's performance on Sohni Dharti winning hearts in ...07:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Reema Khan receives Covid-19 vaccine in US (VIDEO)02:33 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- ‘Mashroob-e-Maghrib’ – Hareem Shah reveals the favourite drink ...03:40 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021