US dollar touches all-time high of Rs128.25 in interbank market
The dollar gained by a further Rs6.75 against the rupee to touch its new high in the interbank market, a private news channel reported. The dollar has gained by over Rs20 in the interbank market since December 2017.
As the market opened, the dollar rose to Rs125.50 before it soared to Rs127.50. The greenback also reached its record high of Rs128.20 in the open market today, traders said.
Besides political instability before the elections set to be held on July 25, the rupee devaluation also shows signs of vulnerability in the country's economy.
Pakistan's external debt increased by Rs600 billion in a single day after the dollar strengthened in the market.
Meanwhile, amid increasing debt level and depleting foreign exchange reserves, Pakistan’s caretaker government has initiated the process of seeking a bailout from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to enable the incoming government to move along quicker if it chooses to exercise the option.
- Two troops martyred in Miranshah operation11:54 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- Suzuki likely to unveil 9th Generation Alto this year11:48 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan to create tech-based farms to promote exports11:04 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan’s UN envoy Munir intensified efforts to accomplish ...09:57 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- PAMI elects Prof Dr. Chaudhry Abdul Rehman as new president08:50 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- Queen Elizabeth strips disgraced Harvey Weinstein of top royal honour02:43 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- Asim Abbasi apologises for copying French artist Malika Favre's work ...02:30 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy roped in to co-direct a Marvel film01:48 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020