Punjab govt challenges bail granted to Khadim Hussain Rizvi
LAHORE - The Punjab government has challenged a Lahore High Court (LHC) decision to grant bail to Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) chief Khadim Hussain Rizvi.
The provincial government has petitioned the Supreme Court on Tuesday against the bail granted to the firebrand cleric who was booked for launching violent protests against the acquittal of Aasia Bibi last year.
In its appeal, the government has argued that the high court "did not fulfill legal requirements" in its decision to grant bail; Rizvi was granted bail in May this year.
The petition stated that there was enough evidence against the TLP chief, urging the top court to nullify the high court's verdict.
LHC grants bail to Khadim Hussain Rizvi, Pir ... 02:59 PM | 14 May, 2019
LAHORE - The Lahore High Court (LHC) granted bail to Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan chief Khadim Rizvi and former ...
A two-member bench headed by Justice Manzoor Ahmed Malik would hear the appeal at the Lahore registry on July 18.
Rizvi and TLP patron-in-chief Pir Afzal Qadri were granted bail in May this year; Qadri's bail expired on July 15 but was extended on medical grounds though he had already announced parting ways with TLP .
Both the clerics had made blunt speeches against state institutions after the Supreme Court acquitted Aasia Bibi in a blasphemy case.
The TLP leaders had also led violent protests against the acquittal in different cities, drawing the ire of citizens.
- Dozens arrested in crackdown after lawyers storm PIC Lahore08:51 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Key officials from Russia, Britain meet Pakistan's army chief07:19 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- 22-year-old Samina dies in Lahore’s hospital after protesting ...06:41 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Ed Sheeran declared as the UK’s artist of the decade06:26 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Mere Paas Tum Ho scores more IMDB rating than Game of Thrones02:23 PM | 11 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019