Punjab govt challenges bail granted to Khadim Hussain Rizvi
LAHORE - The Punjab government has challenged a Lahore High Court (LHC) decision to grant bail to Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) chief Khadim Hussain Rizvi.
The provincial government has petitioned the Supreme Court on Tuesday against the bail granted to the firebrand cleric who was booked for launching violent protests against the acquittal of Aasia Bibi last year.
In its appeal, the government has argued that the high court "did not fulfill legal requirements" in its decision to grant bail; Rizvi was granted bail in May this year.
The petition stated that there was enough evidence against the TLP chief, urging the top court to nullify the high court's verdict.
A two-member bench headed by Justice Manzoor Ahmed Malik would hear the appeal at the Lahore registry on July 18.
Rizvi and TLP patron-in-chief Pir Afzal Qadri were granted bail in May this year; Qadri's bail expired on July 15 but was extended on medical grounds though he had already announced parting ways with TLP.
Both the clerics had made blunt speeches against state institutions after the Supreme Court acquitted Aasia Bibi in a blasphemy case.
The TLP leaders had also led violent protests against the acquittal in different cities, drawing the ire of citizens.
- PM Imran congratulates Sri Lankan counterpart Rajapaksa over election ...11:30 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan to resume international flight operations at all airports ...10:57 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- NAB rejects allegations of striking plea bargain deal with 2 army ...09:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- At least 11 dead as Air India passenger plan skids off runway, splits ...09:10 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- What do you know about Ravi Riverfront Urban Development Project?08:36 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- A sneak peek inside Selena Gomez's HBO cooking show05:38 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- John Wick 5 announced, to film back-to-back with 4th installment05:14 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Ever since I was a child I’ve had a sleeping issue: Mahira Khan04:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020