Ishaq Dar, PM's sister allowed to contest Senate elections
Dar had filed nomination papers for a technocrat seat in the Senate after getting a ticket from the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N). However, the nomination papers were rejected by the returning officer, stating that Dar was not ‘honest’ and ‘truthful’ as per the Constitution.
On Thursday the embattled former minister challenged the rejection of his Senate election nomination at the appellate tribunal.
Subsequently, the tribunal has declared the decision of the ECP officer null and void.
Ishaq Dar in his appeal said that the ECP rejected his nomination papers even though all the legal requirements were fulfilled. He asked the court to declared the returning officer's decision null and void.
The former finance minister has been declared absconder by an accountability court in Islamabad for not attending the hearings of the corruption trial against him. He has been living in London for medical treatment for months. He is facing charges of possessing assets beyond known sources of income.
The appellate bench of the high court also allowed Abbasi’s sister Sadia Abbasi to contest the forthcoming Senate polls.
Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf leader Andleeb Abbas moved a petition against Sadia Abbasi’s nomination for the Senate on a seat reserved for women.
The PTI leader claimed that Sadia Abbasi had not declared her assets in the the nomination papers, adding that former also held dural nationality.
As per the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) schedule, elections will be held on March 3.
- ‘President grossly failed to exercise his discretion,’ remarks SC ...07:04 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 6-year old raped, set on fire in India’s Punjab06:03 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- US suspends visa services in Turkey over reports of potential terror ...05:58 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Police arrested man posturing as fake Pakistan Army Captain04:47 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 37th Millat Tractors Governors Cup Golf commences today04:20 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- IN PICTURES: 5 of the most expensive Pakistani weddings of all times03:33 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 5 fall wardrobe essentials every woman needs02:00 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Unfinished: Priyanka Chopra completes her memoir11:22 AM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Turkish Airlines fined for violating SOPs in Pakistan02:42 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PDM rally venue changed in Quetta over security threats02:05 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Five killed as bus catches fire near Khuzdar12:07 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PML-N leader’s secret meeting upsets Nawaz11:45 AM | 23 Oct, 2020