Punjab budget 2016-17 questioned by PML-N members from South Punjab, Opposition
Opening the budget debate held on Thursday, Opposition Leader Mian Mehmoodur Rasheed grilled the provincial government for directing over Rs. 12 billion exclusively to the Lahore Orange Line Metro Train project.
"I am a resident of Lahore city, but still I reject such a huge allocation to a single project while millions of fellow citizens in other cities of the province remain ignored," he said in the three-hour-long speech.
He said that even though Rs. 20 billion had been spent on energy during FY 2015-16, the industrial sector and ordinary people faced hours-long load shedding every day. Due to the power crisis over 100 textile have mills moved to other countries in the last year alone, he noted.
Participating in the budget debate, PML-N lawmaker Ilyas Chinioti from PP-73 (Jhang) said that his constituency had been ignored in the budget. He, afterwards, also staged a walk out of the House in protest.
Ghulam Murtaza, another lawmaker from government benches in the assembly, said that budget 2016-17 had been prepared by bureaucrats living in Lahore.
"My constituency which falls in Bahawalpur district has received only Rs. 90 million out of a budget of over Rs. 1 trillion," he said.
My constituents are dying of filthy water, however the rulers are not ready to do anything for them, he added.
- ‘We just have to play with it’: Imran Khan’s audio leak about ...01:03 PM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan PM Shehbaz, Army Chief felicitates Saudi crown prince on ...11:51 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Petrol price likely to dip by Rs9 per litre from October 111:18 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- PAKvENG: Pakistan, England face off in 5th T20I today10:52 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani FM Bilawal urges US, China to set aside rivalry to fight ...10:26 AM | 28 Sep, 2022
- Malala 'so grateful' to husband for holding her hand and awards09:15 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Hrithik Roshan and Saif Ali Khan groove to 'Alcoholiya'11:32 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Bushra Ansari faces criticism for receiving anti-aging treatment10:07 PM | 27 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022