Ex-DIG Naeem Kakar gunned down by Taliban in Quetta
The assailants in the attack fled the scene on motorcycles after critically wounding Kakar in the Zarghoon road area of the provincial capital of Quetta.
Kakar was the former deputy inspector general of the Baluchistan provincial police's crime unit, which has been instrumental in combatting the area's terrorists and hardened criminals.
The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility the attack. Taliban spokesman Mohammad Khurasani said attacks on police will continue to avenge arrests and killings of members of his group.
Some seven years ago, Kakar survived a suicide bomb attack in which a police constable was killed while 17 others, including three children, sustained injuries.
In April 2011, a suicide bomber in an explosive laden Pajero had rammed into the residence of DIG investigation Wazir Khan Nasir. DIG Investigation, DIG Crime Branch Naeem Kakar and their children were among the injured while houses of both top officials were completely destroyed in the powerful blast which took place on Gulistan Road, also known as Police Lines, just adjacent to the Inspector General Balochistan Police Office.
According to the police sources, the attack was targeted at DIG Wazir Khan Nasir who had earlier received threats from a banned sectarian organisation.
- Jamshed Iqbal Cheema appointed SAPM on food security07:48 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- In first step to control price hike, new Pakistani finance minister ...07:35 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- ‘Ingenuity’ – NASA Mars helicopter makes first historic flight ...06:50 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Mobilink Microfinance Bank launches School Loan to financially ...06:29 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Justin Bieber all set for a cameo in Friends: The Reunion Special05:31 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021