Anas Haqqani among 10 released as part of Afghanistan's 'Roadmap to Peace'
KABUL – The United States and the Afghan government have released 10 members of Haqqani network on Thursday, a day after the third round of peace talks between American officials and Taliban concluded in the United Arab Emirates.
Anas, one of the key leaders of the militant network, was captured with Hafiz Rashid another leader of the network in October 2014 in Bahrain and then sent to Qatar before being transferred to Kabul.
He was traveling in the Persian Gulf to visit the brother of Hafiz Rashid, Nabi Omari, who had been released from Guantanamo Bay prison in exchange for the only US soldier in Taliban captivity.
In the next phase of the peace process, Afghan Taliban will release several prisoners from the United States and the European Union.
The third round of direct talks between the Pakistan-brokered United States and Taliban ended on Wednesday in Abu Dhabi of United Arab Emirates.
Glad to be back in Kabul where I met with @ashrafghani & @afgexecutive last night to discuss my mtgs in Abu Dhabi & next steps toward an intra-#Afghan dialogue. Looking forward to mtg w civil society & youth leaders, political party leaders & other stakeholders today #Afghanistan pic.twitter.com/I66ngZ9e21— U.S. Special Representative Zalmay Khalilzad (@US4AfghanPeace) December 20, 2018
Ambassador Khalilzad posted an online statement in Twitter after the conclusion of the meeting in Abu Dhabi, saying he had productive meetings in UAE with the Afghan and international partners to promote intra-Afghan dialogue towards ending the conflict in Afghanistan.
The development comes two days after Pakistan had arranged crucial peace talks between the United States and Afghan Taliban in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) – in a latest push to end the 17-year-long conflict in Afghanistan.
This is a developing story and will be updated accordingly
- Teenage girl killed in Indian unprovoked ceasefire violations along ...04:01 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- PM Imran expresses pain and grief over loss of lives in Beirut ...03:36 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- India imposes curfew, restrictions in Occupied Kashmir to prevent ...02:09 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- If offered, I would love to work in Pakistan: Engin Altan Düzyatan01:53 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- Saba Qamar, Bilal Ashraf & others grieve over the tragic explosions ...01:10 PM | 5 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020