Sindh declares public holiday on Holi
“This is the first time Holi has been declared a public holiday anywhere in Pakistan”, a spokesman for the Chief Minister House told Dawn. Earlier, only the Hindu community was given a holiday on Holi.
The move comes days after the National Assembly adopted a resolution to take steps to declare Holi, Diwali and Easter as holidays for minorities.
The resolution moved independently by PML-N MNA Dr Ramesh Kumar Vankwani called for national holidays on Diwali, Holi and Easter.
However, no notification was issued by the federal interior ministry officially declaring holidays on Holi, Diwali and Easter.
Holi, a popular Hindu spring festival ─ also termed as the festival of colours ─ is observed in Pakistan at the end of the winter season on the last full moon of the lunar month.
Revellers spray coloured powder and water on each other, dance, and distribute sweets during Holi celebrations.
- Daesh Karachi commander killed in Bajaur operation: ISPR11:16 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- GBLA-II: PPP workers clash with police over 'rigged' election results10:52 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- France forgives Pakistani minister for ‘insulting’ tweet10:00 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Gang of poachers smuggling Leopard skins busted in KPK08:41 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Does Meesha Shafi want to date Babar Azam?07:05 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Justin Bieber pens a beautiful 24th birthday message to wife Hailey ...03:43 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- YouTuber Umar Khan ties the knot03:15 PM | 23 Nov, 2020