Sindh declares public holiday on Holi
“This is the first time Holi has been declared a public holiday anywhere in Pakistan”, a spokesman for the Chief Minister House told Dawn. Earlier, only the Hindu community was given a holiday on Holi.
The move comes days after the National Assembly adopted a resolution to take steps to declare Holi, Diwali and Easter as holidays for minorities.
The resolution moved independently by PML-N MNA Dr Ramesh Kumar Vankwani called for national holidays on Diwali, Holi and Easter.
However, no notification was issued by the federal interior ministry officially declaring holidays on Holi, Diwali and Easter.
Holi, a popular Hindu spring festival ─ also termed as the festival of colours ─ is observed in Pakistan at the end of the winter season on the last full moon of the lunar month.
Revellers spray coloured powder and water on each other, dance, and distribute sweets during Holi celebrations.
- Azadi March – SC turns down contempt petition against Imran Khan02:04 PM | 26 May, 2022
- National Assembly approves bill to abolish electronic, overseas ...01:43 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Watch: Indian PM Modi’s awkward handshake with Japanese host01:23 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Mishi Khan, Mariyam Nafees participate in Imran Khan’s Azadi March ...09:37 AM | 26 May, 2022
- Why Saba Qamar rejected Bollywood films?07:22 PM | 25 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022