Govt to immediately clear Rs50 billion in circular debt
The decision has been taken after independent power producers (IPP) threatened that they would suspend power generation, local media reported.
The phase-wise payment would start from Monday after the Ashura holidays and the weekend.
On Monday, Rs34 billion will be paid to the Ministry of Power and the remaining Rs16 billion will be given at the end of next month.
The Rs50 billion have been taken as loan from eight banks.
Earlier, it emerged on media that previous PML-N govt passed on a gigantic circular debt of Rs1.148 trillion to the new government of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), which faces a bumpy road ahead.
- Ahead of UN talks, FM Qureshi calls for unfreezing of Afghan assets ...09:56 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:32 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Pakistan reports 1,897 new Covid cases, lowest in two months09:04 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 21 September 202108:35 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Azam Swati questions ECP’s decision to serve him show-cause notice12:48 AM | 21 Sep, 2021
- Canadian vlogger Rosie Gabrielle wants everyone to know that Pakistan ...05:53 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- Mathira claps back at trolls with an explosive statement: ‘Don’t ...04:57 PM | 20 Sep, 2021
- TikTok star Jannat Mirza's new video goes viral04:35 PM | 20 Sep, 2021