Govt to immediately clear Rs50 billion in circular debt
The decision has been taken after independent power producers (IPP) threatened that they would suspend power generation, local media reported.
The phase-wise payment would start from Monday after the Ashura holidays and the weekend.
On Monday, Rs34 billion will be paid to the Ministry of Power and the remaining Rs16 billion will be given at the end of next month.
The Rs50 billion have been taken as loan from eight banks.
Earlier, it emerged on media that previous PML-N govt passed on a gigantic circular debt of Rs1.148 trillion to the new government of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), which faces a bumpy road ahead.
- Emirates, Etihad extend ban on travelers from COVID-hit countries ...10:02 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Pakistan reports 76 deaths, over 4,000 new COVID infections amid ...09:35 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:15 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 29 July 202108:46 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Welsh slate is now on list of Unesco World Heritage Sites12:56 AM | 29 Jul, 2021
- Nora Fatehi’s belly dance moves in ‘Zaalima Coca Cola’ set ...04:04 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Mehrooz Waseem hits back, accuses Usman Mukhtar of harassment03:48 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Maya Ali's colourful birthday celebrations go viral03:34 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021