Hanif Abbasi jailed for life in Ephedrine quota case
The court acquitted seven others, giving them the benefit of doubt.
Abbasi, who was PML-N's candidate in Rawalpindi, was immediately arrested from the courtroom after the verdict.
Judge Muhammad Akram Khan had reserved judgment in ephedrine case against Abbasi after his lawyer completed arguments in the court where the accused was also present.
A day earlier, the judge had rejected Abbasi's plea to delay the trial's deadline, noting that it has to follow orders of the Lahore High Court (LHC).
Abbasi, who was contesting the upcoming election from NA-60 Rawalpindi against Sheikh Rasheed, faces charges of misusing 500kg of the controlled chemical ephedrine which he obtained for his company, Gray Pharmaceutical, in 2010.
The Anti-Narcotics Force (ANF) had registered a case against Abbasi and his accomplices in June 2012 under various sections of the Control of Narcotics Substances (CNS) Act.
- Super well made: Anoushey Ashraf can’t stop praising ...04:35 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan confirm ICC World Test Championship matches against New ...03:45 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- OPPO Reno4 Pro — with a Professional 90Hz Borderless Sense Screen ...03:22 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- IAG Cargo starts London-Lahore service02:55 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Rhea Chakraborty 'an active member of a drug syndicate:' NCB02:26 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Lion King sequel officially in the works01:46 PM | 30 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020