LEAD Pakistan urges practical steps to conserve planet
ISLAMABAD (Staff Report/PR) - Chief Executive Officer Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD) Pakistan Ali Tauqeer has said Earth Hour is not about switching off lights for an hour but is a commitment to play a role in conservation of planet by conserving energy and combating climate change.
He said this while addressing at a discussion session about celebrating EH organised by LEAD.
He said that their dream was to switch on lights one day without using fossil fuels. "Urged all to support conservation of planet by celebrating EH — a voluntary grassroots movement celebrated globally to inspire people to protect the planet", Tauqeer said.
“Simple steps like not wasting water in our daily use, switching over from plastic bags to paper bags and curtailing greenhouse gas emissions by resorting to energy efficient travel and lifestyles can help conserve life on earth,” he explained.
He said Pakistan ranks number five among top 10 countries most vulnerable to climate change, according to Germanwatch Global Climate Risk Index 2016. Floods, droughts, energy crisis, food shortages, endemic diseases, mass migration, economic deterioration and ecosystem degradation were among major threats of climate change.
EH celebrated on Saturday from 8:30pm to 9:30pm to advocate for greater environmental action by switching off unnecessary lights.
- NGO donates Rs36m to Pakistan dam funds08:11 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan becomes permanent member of SCO Youth Council07:57 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 259,000 cases of coronavirus – 5,477 confirmed ...07:47 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan minister tells reason behind reduction in coronavirus cases07:19 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- Aagha Ali congratulates Sarah Khan on her engagement with Falaq Shabir06:07 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- YouTube takes down Hadiqa Kiani’s song about Kashmir02:43 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- Maya Ali experimenting with her cooking skills01:46 PM | 16 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020