LEAD Pakistan urges practical steps to conserve planet
ISLAMABAD (Staff Report/PR) - Chief Executive Officer Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD) Pakistan Ali Tauqeer has said Earth Hour is not about switching off lights for an hour but is a commitment to play a role in conservation of planet by conserving energy and combating climate change.
He said this while addressing at a discussion session about celebrating EH organised by LEAD.
He said that their dream was to switch on lights one day without using fossil fuels. "Urged all to support conservation of planet by celebrating EH — a voluntary grassroots movement celebrated globally to inspire people to protect the planet", Tauqeer said.
“Simple steps like not wasting water in our daily use, switching over from plastic bags to paper bags and curtailing greenhouse gas emissions by resorting to energy efficient travel and lifestyles can help conserve life on earth,” he explained.
He said Pakistan ranks number five among top 10 countries most vulnerable to climate change, according to Germanwatch Global Climate Risk Index 2016. Floods, droughts, energy crisis, food shortages, endemic diseases, mass migration, economic deterioration and ecosystem degradation were among major threats of climate change.
EH celebrated on Saturday from 8:30pm to 9:30pm to advocate for greater environmental action by switching off unnecessary lights.
- PM Imran congratulates Sri Lankan counterpart Rajapaksa over election ...11:30 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan to resume international flight operations at all airports ...10:57 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- NAB rejects allegations of striking plea bargain deal with 2 army ...09:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- At least 11 dead as Air India passenger plan skids off runway, splits ...09:10 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- What do you know about Ravi Riverfront Urban Development Project?08:36 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- A sneak peek inside Selena Gomez's HBO cooking show05:38 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- John Wick 5 announced, to film back-to-back with 4th installment05:14 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- Ever since I was a child I’ve had a sleeping issue: Mahira Khan04:23 PM | 7 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020