Pakistan to open two more transgender schools after success in Lahore
A huge milestone has been achieved in granting transgender their rights in the country through Pakistan’s first ever transgender school.Named The Gender Guardian, the school offers a full 12 years of academic education from primary level to matriculation & leading up to college. pic.twitter.com/n5Y9wDHHRi— Government of Pakistan (@GovtofPakistan) April 19, 2018
The brainchild of non-governmental organisation Exploring Future Foundation (EFF), it also offers vocational training focusing on fashion, beauty as well as graphic design.
“We will be providing skill-based training and curriculum to the transgender community that has enrolled with us,” said EFF managing director Moizzah Tariq.
Pakistan set to open first school for transgender ... 10:01 PM | 7 Apr, 2018
LAHORE - Pakistan will inaugurate its first ever institute for educational and vocational training for the transgender ...
The plan is to provide a diploma course so that the students will be able to either work or set up their own businesses, and the NGO will facilitate them with both procedures.
There is no age limit for admission in The Gender Guardian, located in Lahore’s Defence Housing Authority (DHA).
In an interview with Associated Press of Pakistan, Asif Shahzad said that most of the transgender-students had shown their interest in fashion industry including learning about cosmetics, fashion designing, embroidery and stitching while some had also shown interest in graphic designing and culinary skills.
“We designed our courses for them keeping in view of their interest”, he added.
"So far 40 transgender persons have been enrolled in the school. This is the only such school in any Islamic country in the world," he claimed.
The country’s Senate had unanimously approved a bill on March 7, 2018 for the protection of rights of transgender people, empowering them to determine their own gender identity.
Pakistan's first transgender newscaster Marvia ... 01:53 PM | 24 Mar, 2018
LAHORE - A local news channel Kohenoor TV has hired a transgender newscaster in Pakistan. This would be the first time ...
Last month, a Pakistani news channel hired the country's first transgender TV newsreader.
Marvia Malik, a journalism graduate who has also worked as a model, said she was moved to tears when she was offered the job. She anchored her first show on private broadcaster Kohenoor on Pakistan's Day (March 23rd), after three months of training.
- India wants escape from Kulbhushan Jadhav case: Pakistan09:28 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- Pakistan likely to ban Rs25,000 prize bond08:50 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- World to witness last solar eclipse of 2020 on Dec 1408:07 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- Nestlé redoubles efforts to combat climate change06:28 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- Use Pakistan Citizen Portal to revamp governance, PM Imran urges ...06:16 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- Who's this girl Shahveer Jafry 'getting engaged to'?11:55 PM | 3 Dec, 2020
- Aseefa Bhutto's 'great debut' reminds Pakistan of Benazir08:46 PM | 3 Dec, 2020
- Maya Ali ‘blessed’ to work with Shoaib Mansoor08:09 PM | 3 Dec, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020