Pakistan to open two more transgender schools after success in Lahore
A huge milestone has been achieved in granting transgender their rights in the country through Pakistan’s first ever transgender school.Named The Gender Guardian, the school offers a full 12 years of academic education from primary level to matriculation & leading up to college. pic.twitter.com/n5Y9wDHHRi— Government of Pakistan (@GovtofPakistan) April 19, 2018
The brainchild of non-governmental organisation Exploring Future Foundation (EFF), it also offers vocational training focusing on fashion, beauty as well as graphic design.
“We will be providing skill-based training and curriculum to the transgender community that has enrolled with us,” said EFF managing director Moizzah Tariq.
Pakistan set to open first school for transgender ... 10:01 PM | 7 Apr, 2018
LAHORE - Pakistan will inaugurate its first ever institute for educational and vocational training for the transgender ...
The plan is to provide a diploma course so that the students will be able to either work or set up their own businesses, and the NGO will facilitate them with both procedures.
There is no age limit for admission in The Gender Guardian, located in Lahore’s Defence Housing Authority (DHA).
In an interview with Associated Press of Pakistan, Asif Shahzad said that most of the transgender-students had shown their interest in fashion industry including learning about cosmetics, fashion designing, embroidery and stitching while some had also shown interest in graphic designing and culinary skills.
“We designed our courses for them keeping in view of their interest”, he added.
"So far 40 transgender persons have been enrolled in the school. This is the only such school in any Islamic country in the world," he claimed.
The country’s Senate had unanimously approved a bill on March 7, 2018 for the protection of rights of transgender people, empowering them to determine their own gender identity.
Pakistan's first transgender newscaster Marvia ... 01:53 PM | 24 Mar, 2018
LAHORE - A local news channel Kohenoor TV has hired a transgender newscaster in Pakistan. This would be the first time ...
Last month, a Pakistani news channel hired the country's first transgender TV newsreader.
Marvia Malik, a journalism graduate who has also worked as a model, said she was moved to tears when she was offered the job. She anchored her first show on private broadcaster Kohenoor on Pakistan's Day (March 23rd), after three months of training.
- PTA slaps Jazz with Rs30 million fine over poor network quality11:52 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- One dead, several injured as police baton-charge MQM-P protesters in ...11:23 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Indian-origin Google CEO booked over unauthorised uploading of ...10:51 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- ‘SDG Investment Report 2021’ – FM Qureshi unveils Pakistan’s ...10:21 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Gold price jumps Rs500 per tola in Pakistan09:40 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Rihanna donates $15 million to climate justice04:22 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Atif Aslam praises wife Sara's 'sense of style' for picking his PSL 7 ...08:50 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Feroze Khan gears up for his first English rap single03:26 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021