Renowned qawwal Amjad Sabri shot dead in Karachi
According to initial reports, two armed men fired at Sabri’s car as it was passing by Liaquatabad. The musical legend was traveling with three relatives when he was attacked. All passengers in the vehicle were critically injured, according to local media sources.
They were shifted to Abbasi Shaheed hospital immediately, where Sabri succumbed to his injuries. Additional police surgeon Dr Rohina Hasan confirmed Sabri's demise.
The driver and associate have also been killed in the targeted attack, DIG West said.
"The assailants used 30-bore pistols to shoot Amjad five times, one bullet in the head took the qawwal's life. The attackers took the Hassan Square route to escape," DIG added.
DIG Feroze Shah suspended the Liaquatabad Station House Officer (SHO) for not providing complete security to world fame singer.
"We have cordoned off the area and will arrest the culprits using all our resources," Feroze Shah added.
Police officials recovered five 30-bore casings from the scene of the attack.
The deceased was one of the country’s finest qawwal, known for his soul-stirring renditions of mystic poetry.
Amjad was the son of renowned qawwal late Haji Ghulam Farid Sabri. The Sabri brothers were a Sufi Qawwali party. Sabri Brothers were originally led by the soaring voice of Ghulam Farid Sabri, whose periodic repeat use of ‘Allah’ during songs became a Sabri signature, and his younger brother late Haji Maqbool Ahmed Sabri. They were the first exponents of Qawwali to the West.
Chairman of Sindh Censor Board, Fakhre Alam claimed in a tweet that Sabri had earlier submitted an application for security, but the home department did not act on it.
Amjad Sabri had submitted an application for protection as per his family but Home department did NOTHING...Shameful & disgusting
— Fakhr-e-Alam (@falamb3) June 22, 2016
— Sumaira Jamil (@imsumerapti) June 22, 2016
Amjad Sabri dead. Can't bear this anymore. No sense.
— Meher Bokhari (@meherbokhari) June 22, 2016
SHATTERED, hating this News. Lost a loving & caring friend.. Pakistan Lost 1 of its finest talent... Amjad Sabri..
— Faisal Subzwari (@faisalsubzwari) June 22, 2016
Famous Qawal Amjad Sabri shot dead. May ALLAH grant him high ranks in Jannat ul Firdous. AAMEEN.
— Ayaz Samoo (@ayazsamoo) June 22, 2016
دستِ ساقیِ کوثر سے پینے چلیں۔۔۔۔!! #AmjadSabri
— Ajmal Jami (@ajmaljami) June 22, 2016
Toughest transmission today... You will be missed .. #AmjadSabri ....
— madeha naqvi (@madehanaqvi) June 22, 2016
Chief Minister Sindh Syed Qaim Ali Shah has taken notice of the incident and ordered IG Sindh to submit a report regarding the assassination.
Sabri's body has been shifted to his residence.
- Pakistan among top 10 worst-affected countries on Global Terrorism ...12:05 AM | 5 Dec, 2020
- China becomes world's second nation to plant flag on Moon11:37 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- Rahim Pardesi introduces both his wives to the world for the first ...10:46 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- ‘Kiss of death’: COVID-19 positive officer takes revenge on KMC ...10:17 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- realme and Daraz gear up for another Sale Daraz 12 1209:59 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- Court trashes Mubashir Lucman’s petition against TikTok stars ...12:11 PM | 4 Dec, 2020
- Who's this girl Shahveer Jafry 'getting engaged to'?11:55 PM | 3 Dec, 2020
- Aseefa Bhutto's 'great debut' reminds Pakistan of Benazir08:46 PM | 3 Dec, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020