WWF-Pakistan demands more forest cover despite all complications
Hammad Naqi Khan, Director General WWF-Pakistan, in his message on International Forest Day, stressed the growing need for cultivating forests from scratch. Drawing a comparison between the past and present, he said, "I believe that mentioning the word ‘forest’ has become more prevalent in our day to day discussions, and rightly so", he expressed.
"We depend on forests for our survival, from the air we breathe to the wood we use. Besides providing habitats for animals and livelihoods for humans, forests also offer watershed protection, prevent soil erosion and mitigate climate change. Yet, despite our dependence on forests, how can we still allow them to disappear?”
Similarly, according to projections in the WWF Living Forests Report, the amount of wood taken from forests and plantations each year may need to be tripled by 2050 even with increased recycling, reuse and efficiency.
Every year, March 21 marks the International Day of Forests.
The United Nations has linked this recognition to the 2030 'Agenda for Sustainable Development'. This year, the theme is forests and energy. From planting trees in urban areas to reducing global warming to creating carbon stocks by increasing plantations, all activities are driven by this approach.-PR
- 'PTI worker' hurls shoe at PML-N's Ahsan Iqbal (VIDEO)01:10 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- ECP to hear Ali Gillani’s leaked video matter on Thursday01:03 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- PCB mulls options to outsource biosecure bubble for remaining PSL6 ...12:43 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Shalwar kameez only on campus, Peshawar university instructs female ...12:24 PM | 6 Mar, 2021
- LIVE: NA session underway as PM Imran faces Vote of Confidence11:50 AM | 6 Mar, 2021
- Adele and Simon Konecki finalise their divorce after two years09:13 PM | 5 Mar, 2021
- 'Slumdog Millionaire' – Indian actor accused of sexual assault04:30 PM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Feroze Khan wins Best Actor award for Ishqiya03:03 PM | 5 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021