Senate passes Election Bill 2017 with majority vote, paves way for Nawaz Sharif to regain PML-N chairmanship
The bill, which will pave the way for Nawaz Sharif to again regain chairmanship of PML-N was passed by a house session chaired by chairman Raza Rabbani. Amendment suggested by Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) lawmaker Aitzaz Ahsan was rejected.
In a session chaired Raza Rabbani, the upper house passed the bill, however, due to lack of attendance, an amendment suggested by PPP's Aitzaz Ahsan was rejected.
The PPP had suggested an amendment in clause 203 of the bill, which said that any individual who is not qualified to become a member of the parliament, should not be eligible to become a party's chairperson either.
Voting on the proposed amendment was done twice as during the first round some ruling party members were not present. During the second round of voting, members of the upper house voted with 38 votes against the amendment and 37 in favour.
Hence, the amendment was rejected by a margin of one vote.
According to the bill, every citizen will have the right to be part of a political party, except those in government service, and will also have the right to create a political party.
The bill also enables the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) to scrutinise election expenses within 90 days, failing which election expenses submitted by a political party would be deemed to be correct.
The election reform bill was presented in the upper house after being passed by the national assembly earlier.
In the lower house, the Pakistan Tehreeke-e-Insaf’s (PTI) had recommended amendments which were rejected.
The NA had received around 150 amendments proposed by political parties for the bill. A key amendment proposed by the PTI asking for voting rights for overseas Pakistanis was also rejected.
- I take a break whenever the noise in my head reaches its peak: Zaira ...11:27 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan summons senior Indian envoy over expulsion of 2 officials on ...11:21 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Students of grade 1-12 will be promoted without taking exams: Sindh ...10:52 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 72,460 cases of coronavirus – 1,5 43 confirmed ...10:10 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan has cheapest fuel cost in South Asia, says PM Iman11:56 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Shahroz Sabzwari, Sadaf Kanwal tie the knot amid COVID-1908:09 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Raising a daughter is a huge responsibility: Humaima Malick05:08 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020