Pakistan welcomes Ghani's re-election, supports democratic process in Afghanistan
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan supports Afghanistan’s democratic process and acknowledges that completion of Afghan presidential elections is a crucial step for political stability of Afghanistan and South Asian region, the Foreign Office said on Monday.
In a statement, the FO welcomed the preliminary results of Afghan Presidential elections held in September this year.
"We note that the final results would be announced after completion of adjudication process within the stipulated time as per Afghan electoral laws," FO spokesperson Ayesha Farooqi said in the statement.
According to Afghan Independent Election Commission (IEC), incumbent President Ashraf Ghani secured the minimum required 50%-plus-one-vote in the first round held on September 28 leaving no round for a rerun.
As per the results, Ghani grabbed 50.6% of the votes followed by his power-sharing Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah with 39.5% and Gulbuddin Hekmatyar with 3.8%. Abdullah's team has rejected the results.
- Iran ready to talks with Saudi Arabia, Gulf countries: Javad Zarif12:02 AM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Imran Khan discusses digital media with youth at PM House09:59 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- AJK snowfall: Neelum, Leepa, Bhedi declared calamity-hit areas09:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FO summons Indian diplomat to reject mischievous portrayal of ...08:58 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FM Qureshi reaches Qatar after conclusion of successful US visit08:51 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019