Escape bid by SSP Rao Anwar foiled at Islamabad airport

09:30 AM | 23 Jan, 2018
Escape bid by SSP Rao Anwar foiled at Islamabad airport
KARACHI - Former senior superintendent of police Malir Rao Anwar, allegedly involved in a fake encounter of a South Waziristan youth, was barred from travelling abroad through Islamabad airport, local media reported on Tuesday.

Anwar was barred by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) at Benazir Bhutto International Airport on Monday night due to suspected NOC, which was sent by him through one of his associates to the airport authorities. The suspended officer wanted to go Dubai on a flight EK-615.

The former SSP has refused the reports regarding fleeing to Dubai as baseless. However, an air ticket booked by the police official is circulating on media.

Media reports suggest that Rao Anwar, who is facing a departmental inquiry into the alleged extra-judicial killing of Naqeebullah Mehsud, has not been arrested by the FIA.

However, the former SSP Malir refused to appear before the three-member probe team, fearing biasedness. Sindh Home Minister Sohail Anwar Siyal, earlier, Anwar should present himself before the team, adding that the committee has the right to take action against him on reluctance.


On January 12, a police encounter took place in Shah Latif Town of Karachi under the supervision of Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Malir Rao Anwar. During this shoot-out, four alleged members of banned outfit Tahreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were killed. Amongst these four alleged terrorists was 27-years-old Naseemullah, alias Naqeeb Mehsud.

Ever since his killing, disputed claims have emerged from his family that Naqeeb was abducted on 3rd January and his killing is extrajudicial. These claims have caused a social media uproar.

After the social media uproar against the ‘extrajudicial encounter’ of Naqeeb, Chairman PPP Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has ordered an inquiry into the case as more details pointing towards mysterious circumstances emerge.

Upon Bilawal’s direction, Sindh’s Home Miniter Sohail Anwar Siyal has appointed DIG Police South Zone, Karachi, to conduct an inquiry into the matter and to submit findings within 15 days.

Removal from Post

On Jan 20, Rao Anwar was removed from the post after a three-member investigation committee submitted an interim report on the killing of 27-year-old Naqeebullah in a ‘staged encounter’.

Inspector General Sindh AD Khawaja transferred Anwar, adding that further action against him will be taken after the completion of the inquiry. However, Adeel Chandio has been appointed as SSP Malir.

According to the notification, “Mr Anwar Ahmed Khan, an officer of Sindh Police (BS-18). Senior Superintendent of Police, District Malir, Karachi Range, is transferred and directed to report to CPO Sindh, Karachi with immediate effect and until further orders.”

The decision to remove him came after probe body head AIG Sanaullah Abbasi said that interim report regarding the case was sent to Sindh police after proper investigation.

Media reports suggest that the investigation team declared Mehsud innocent, refusing the allegations levelled by Rao Anwar. The team, in the report, said that no evidence found that showed links between the deceased and terror outfits.

It is learnt that the committee has asked the authorities to register a case against the SSP, known as an “encounter specialist” and other team members involved in the extrajudicial killing. The team also suggested that Rao Anwar’s name should be put on Exit Control List (ECL).

Suo Moto Notice

On Friday, Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Justice Mian Saqib Nisar took a suo motu notice over the ‘encounter’ of Naqeebullah Mehsud and summoned a report from the Sindh police chief in seven days.