"Welcome to Trump Village": Indian town renamed ahead of Modi's visit to White House
A huge billboard declaring "Welcome to Trump Village" in Hindi and English, accompanied with a beaming portrait of the US president, was unveiled in the tiny hamlet officially known as Marora, the TIME reported.
But despite the bold lettering greeting visitors at the arched village gateway, the name change is not official or sanctioned by the government.
The symbolic gesture comes just days before Modi's first meeting with Trump this weekend at the White House.
The leaders of the world's largest democracies exchanged pleasantries in a phone call in January when Trump invited Modi to the White House.
The water and sanitation group Sulabh, which has been installing toilets in the impoverished settlement, suggested the name change to the local council.
- Inaugural ILT20 to roll into action from January 1309:49 PM | 1 Dec, 2022
- Ten-member Golf club teams to engage in combat at Rumanza Golf Course08:56 PM | 1 Dec, 2022
- Pakistan climate minister Sherry Rehman named among world's 25 most ...07:57 PM | 1 Dec, 2022
- Hira Mani slays fashion goals in latest video07:38 PM | 1 Dec, 2022
- Sunita Marshall and Hassan Ahmed shut down separation rumours07:10 PM | 1 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022