Alleged killers of Charanjeet Singh arrested from Peshawar
In a statement issued, the CTD said it had arrested Tariq in Badabher area after the main suspect informed the police about his role in the killing. Police had registered a case against Tariq under the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997.
According to a senior police official, Charanjeet Singh was gunned down by local extortionists and it had nothing to do with militancy or religious wrath. The peace activist had previously received threatening calls from extortionist but the sought-after amount was unknown.
The Sikh social activist was killed on May 29, after he was attacked near Scheme Chowk, Budhbir area, in Peshawar - the capital city of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
According to the police officials, the minority leader and social activist was sitting in his shop when unidentified gunmen opened fire on him and escaped. He succumbed to his wounds and died on the spot, they added.
A murder investigation was launched after lodging a case at Inqalab Police Station.
The Sikh activist worked for inter-religious harmony and was a preacher of peace.
- Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman nominated for ICC Men's Player of the month04:14 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Serial rapist who assaulted 20 victims including a lady cop held in ...02:59 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Governor Sindh visits K-Electric’s BQPS-iii power plant, reviews ...02:20 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Nazish Jahangir sheds light on the controversy with Mohsin Abbas ...02:10 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Eshal Fayyaz gets candid about her marriage rumours with ...01:47 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Deepika Padukone, family test positive as India’s coronavirus surge ...10:54 AM | 5 May, 2021