PM Shehbaz meets Gen Asim Munir, Gen Sahir Shamshad in separate meetings
ISLAMABAD – The newly-appointed Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Asim Munir and Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC) held separate meetings with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Thursday.
The meetings come minutes after the President Arif Alvi approved a summary sent by the premier regarding appointment of Gen Asim Munir and Gen Sahir Shamshad at two highest positions in the military.
During the meeting, the prime minister congratulated the top generals on their latest appointments.
Chief of the Army Staff (#COAS) designate, #LtGenAsimMunir Munir, called on #PMShehbazSharif at #PMHouse, #Islamabad, who congratulated the incoming #ArmyChief and expressed his best wishes for his new responsibilities.— Daily Pakistan Global (@dailypakistangl) November 24, 2022
Read more about #LtGenAsimMunir: https://t.co/6XnJS2j9vN pic.twitter.com/qxk3TcwJKm
The COAS and CJCSC also called on President Arif Alvi at the Aiwan-e-Sadar where matters of mutual interest were discussed.
Gen Asim Munir will replace outgoing COAS Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa while Gen Sahir Shamshad will replace Gen Nadeem Raza as CJCSC.
Lt Gen Asim Munir
Lieutenant General Syed Asim Munir was nominated as next Army Chief by Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on November 24, 2022. He was named for the coveted post for being the most senior officer in the Pakistan Army after outgoing Army Chief Qamar Javed Bajwa.
Gen Munir, who recently served as Quartermaster General in the Pakistan Army, entered the service via the Officers Training School (OTS) programme in Mangla and was commissioned into the 23rd Battalion of the Frontier Force Regiment.
Lt-Gen Munir commanded troops in the Force Command Northern Areas as a brigadier under Gen Bajwa, who was then Commander X Corps. He was appointed DG of the Military Intelligence in early 2017 and then ISI Director General in October 2018.
Eight months later, Lt-Gen Munir was posted Gujranwala Corps Commander. He was moved to the GHQ as Quartermaster General two years later.
Lt-Gen Munir is the recipient of the Sword of Honour from the 17th course of the Officers Training School in Mangla. Also, he is the recipient of the Hilal-i-Imtiaz.
He is a 'Hafiz-e-Quran' who memorised the Quran during his posting in Saudi Arabia as Lt Colonel.
Profile: Lieutenant General Sahir Shamshad Mirza 12:49 PM | 24 Nov, 2022
Lieutenant General Sahir Shamshad Mirza has been shortlisted as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee ...
- Adnan Siddiqui unimpressed with Indian remake of 'Aap Jaisa Koi'11:33 PM | 30 Nov, 2022
- Cristiano Ronaldo ‘signs record-breaking $207m per year contract ...11:11 PM | 30 Nov, 2022
- Decision to start first PAKvENG Test delayed till tomorrow10:31 PM | 30 Nov, 2022
- Pakistan decides to keep petrol, diesel prices unchanged10:15 PM | 30 Nov, 2022
- Aima Baig reveals her K-pop star look in new photos09:22 PM | 30 Nov, 2022
- Kriti Sanon quashes dating rumours with Prabhas06:21 PM | 30 Nov, 2022
- Ayeza Khan rocks chic look in new viral pictures05:00 PM | 30 Nov, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022