Driverless hover-taxis to take off in Singapore
Millions of commuters in the region's cities have to contend with chronic gridlock every day, sparking a race to develop new ways to avoid snarl-ups.
While the developed city-state of Singapore does not suffer major congestion, it is seen as a perfect test-bed for new technologies due to its compact size and openness to innovation.
Resembling a helicopter, Volocopter's electric air taxis take off and land vertically. They are based on drone technology and can fly two people for around 30 kilometers, the firm said in a statement.
The Singapore tests follow a public demonstration in Dubai last year.
"It is so quiet that at a flight height of 100 metres, it cannot be heard over the typical background noise of a city."
A company spokeswoman said the Volocopter can be controlled by a pilot using a joystick, or remotely from the ground.
Volocopter said they are getting ready to roll out their first fixed routes in cities and the hover-taxis will complement helicopter-hailing services which are already taking off in some cities to beat traffic jams.
- Pakistan greenlights Sinopharm, Sputnik-V vaccines for over-60s11:55 AM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Porto Montenegro’s BOKA Place – A Pioneering Urban-Inspired ...11:36 AM | 5 Mar, 2021
- UBL selects PTCL for Primary Tier-3 Data Center Hosting11:02 AM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Pakistan reports 52 new deaths from COVID-19 in last 24 hours10:37 AM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 05 March 202109:51 AM | 5 Mar, 2021
- Sana Javed wins Best Actress award for Ruswai09:24 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Hania Amir slammed for preaching self love with an Instagram filter10:20 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- Humaima Malick hopes to wear a hijab for the rest of her life09:54 PM | 4 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021