Punjab government mulls over reviving basant
LAHORE (Web Desk) - The Punjab government is studying a proposal to revive the Basant festival.
The Pakistan Muslim League (Nawaz) PML-N led government banned the festival nine years ago.
Earlier this month, Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif constituted a seven-member committee to compile suggestions for the safe conduct of the festival.
According to a report published in Newsweek, the committee has been maneuvered to come up “with well-considered proposals for the revival of safe Basant” and with “examining these proposals in the brightness of its touristic potential.”
The officials appointed to the committee held their inaugural meeting last week and have been directed to submit a final report within two weeks.
According to some estimates, Basant generated economic activity of over Rs. 1.75 billion in provincial capital, Lahore alone. Up to 1,000,000 people were laid away from the informal kite-making sector when the festival was nixed.
The festival could resume as early as the second week of February 2017.
- Four young Kashmiris martyred in fresh act of Indian terrorism02:48 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 56,000 cases of coronavirus – 1,154 confirmed ...01:51 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Airbus team to arrive in Karachi today for investigation of PIA plane ...01:25 PM | 25 May, 2020
- Afghanistan to free up to 2,000 Taliban prisoners after ceasefire11:25 AM | 25 May, 2020
- Indian female school teacher suspended over ‘pro-Pakistan lines’ ...10:46 AM | 25 May, 2020
- Zara Abid presumed dead, not amongst the survivors of PIA plane crash05:13 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Netflix announces Élite season 4 with returning cast members04:07 PM | 23 May, 2020
- Alizeh Shah, Nida & Yasir Nawaz allegedly test positive for ...02:38 PM | 23 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020