Kulbhushan has not been given consular access, clarifies Pakistan ahead of meeting with family
Foreign Office spokesperson Dr Muhammad Faisal said the presence of the Indian diplomat during the scheduled meeting between Jadhav and his family does not equate to giving consular access to the RAW spy.
Pakistan permits the meeting of wife and mother of Commander Jadhav with him, as a humanitarian gesture, on the birthday of the Father of the nation, Quaid e Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah.— Spokesperson 🇵🇰 MoFA (@ForeignOfficePk) December 25, 2017
The clarification came in the aftermath of Foreign Minister Khawaja Asif's statement that he made a day earlier that India had been given consular access to the convicted spy, describing it as a "concession."
"We didn't want any weakness in our case in the ICJ over the meeting, so we were advised to permit the meeting," described the foreign minister.
Indian Deputy High Commissioner JP Singh will be present during the meeting between Jadhav and his family, which will last for 30 minutes on Monday (today).
Jadhav, who was captured by Pakistani security forces on March 3, 2016, in Balochistan, was sentenced to death by a military tribunal earlier this year for his involvement in terrorism and espionage.
His appeals against the conviction have been rejected by the military appellate court and his mercy petition has been lying with Army Chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa.
Pakistan honours commitments: Kulbhushan Jadhav's ... 09:15 AM | 25 Dec, 2017
ISLAMABAD - The mother and wife of Kulbhushan Jadhav, an Indian spy sentenced to death for espionage in Pakistan, on ...
According to the confessional statement, he is a Commander rank serving officer in Indian navy. An Indian passport bearing his assumed name Hussein Mubarak Patel – a fictitious activity to conceal his original identity, had been recovered from his possession.
In his statements released to media, Jadhav disclosed his clandestine mission of espionage leading to sabotage activity in restive province of Balochistan, Karachi and elsewhere in Pakistan.
Jadhav had been tried by a Field General Court Martial, which handed down capital punishment to him.
The Indian government hurriedly took the issue to International Court of Justice (ICJ). The latter passed an order staying the execution of Jadhav.
- Ace Junior League inaugural match tees off today04:26 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- ‘Khalistan-Pakistan Zindabad’ slogans in Aam Admi Party ...04:03 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan issues fresh travel advisory for domestic, international ...03:22 PM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Inside Ali Fazal and Richa Chadha’s vibrant Mehandi, Sangeet ...11:28 AM | 2 Oct, 2022
- Did Feroze Khan refuse to pay Rs200,000 child support to ex-wife?11:05 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Bollywood actress Rani Mukerji set to release her autobiography04:48 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022