Babar Awan acquitted in Nandipur case
Accountability Court Judge Arshad Malik announced the decision, much to the surprise of Pakistan Peoples Party leaders.
Soon after Awan was acquitted, President Arif Alvi made a telephone call to him and felicitated the politician.
Awan had resigned as an adviser to the prime minister on parliamentary affairs after NAB filed a case on the said reference.
As many as seven suspects were indicted in the case including former secretary law Masood Chishti, Riaz Kiyani, Dr Riaz Mehmood and former research consultant Shumaila Mehmood; they all pleaded not guilty to the charges following which the court decided to initiate a trial.
The accused have been alleged of inflicting a damage worth Rs 27 billion to the national kitty by delaying the said project.
The NAB had claimed that the Ministry of Water and Power and the Ministry of Law and Justice were responsible for the delay in the completion of the Nandipur power project and for its eventual cost escalation.
The law ministry had raised objections to the agreement signed by the power ministry from 2008 to 2011 and the issue was resolved after the ministers for the two ministries were removed.
- US envoy calls on PM Shehbaz, reaffirms commitment to strengthen ...09:53 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- World's highest polo festival kicks off in Pakistan's Shandur09:16 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan, India exchange lists of prisoners, fishermen08:15 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- Maya Ali faces backlash for wearing revealing dress05:10 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- Ramsha Khan sparks outrage for praising Ahad Raza Mir07:00 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- SidNaaz fans left teary-eyed with Shehnaaz Gill’s throwback video06:40 PM | 1 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022