Pakistan warns of ‘disastrous situation’ as public takes COVID-19 lightly
ISLAMABAD – Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Health Dr Zafar Mirza warned on Monday that taking Covid-19 lightly by public could lead to disastrous situation in the country as death toll and infection could surge in coming days.
In a media briefing, he said the government will evaluate the prevailing situation immediately after Eid and can review its decision of relaxation in lockdown if the situation gets worse.
The Special Assistant said lockdown was relaxed in the country in view of Eid festival but it seems people are under the wrong impression that prevalence of disease is reducing.
He said it is being observed that movement and interaction of people has increased during Eid holidays and SOPs are not being properly followed, which could lead to disastrous situation, Radio Pakistan reported.
The SAPM said social distancing and other precautionary measures are key to stop spread of this killer disease.
Dr Zafar Mirza said this Eid has been dedicated to frontline health workers who are selflessly fighting this disease.
Referring to number of coronavirus cases worldwide, he said so far 5.5 million people in the world have been affected by coronavirus and 347,000 lost their lives.
He said testing rate is increasing in Pakistan and till yesterday 483,000 tests had been made.
Dr Zafar said number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in the country is 56,349 while recovery rate is 38 percent.
He said during the last 24 hours, 4,365 people have been admitted to hospitals for coronavirus, of which 112 are on ventilators.
Dr Zafar Mirza said 1,157 people lost their lives in this disease so far, of which 24 died during the last 24 hours alone.
Special Assistant on Health again appealed the people to strictly observe SOPs including avoiding close contact, maintaining social distancing, wearing face masks, frequent washing of hands with soap or sanitizer and other directions given by the government from time to time.
- MPAs to be suspended if dogs bite anyone in Sindh constituencies, ...07:33 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- PSL6, Match 6 - Islamabad United win toss, opt to bat first against ...06:35 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan Army working to arrest TTP’s Ehsanullah Ehsan again: DG ...06:28 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Cancer survivor to become youngest American to explore space05:50 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Dananeer's ‘Pawri Ho Rai Hai’ dialogue originally belongs to this ...05:30 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Hassan Ali and Chris Gayle shake a leg on the Googly Challenge04:50 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Indian TikToker turns out to be Shoaib Akhtar’s doppelgänger02:50 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Shaniera Akram reminds netizens to 'Pawri' with their masks on02:30 PM | 24 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021