LHC orders release of Nawaz Sharif on medical grounds in Chaudhry Sugar Mills case
LAHORE - Lahore High Court (LHC) on Friday approved the bail of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif on medical grounds in the Chaudhry Sugar Mills case.
A two-member bench, headed by Justice Baqar Najafi, heard the petitions filed by the former chief minister Punjab Shehbaz Sharif seeking the release of his brother from the custody of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB). Approving the plea, the court has ordered the defendant to deposit two surety bonds for Rs10 million each for the bail.
The former PM was arrested in the Chaudhry Sugar Mills case on October 11, 2019, by the anti-graft body. The PML-N supremo was on the judicial remand when he was brought to Lahore's Services Hospital Monday night after his health deteriorated. The medical team has diagnosed him with acute ITP and the treatment is continued in the hospital
The court has ordered that the defendant deposit two surety bonds for Rs10 million each for the bail.
After the order was passed, the former chief minister said that Nawaz Sharif was seriously ill and asked the nation to pray for his health.
Shehbaz added that the bail of Nawaz's daughter, Maryam Nawaz, should also be approved on medical grounds.
According to NAB, the accused is involved in money-laundering for purchasing shares of Chaudhry Sugar Mills. Earlier, on August 8, NAB had arrested PML-N Vice President Maryam Nawaz in the same case.
As per details of Chaudhry Sugar Mills money-laundering investigation, NAB, in January 2018, received a Financial Monitoring Unit (FMU) report showing huge suspicious transactions worth billions of rupees under the Anti-Money Laundering Act.
- NETSOL technologies to ring Nasdaq closing bell on Jan 2108:56 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Senate body approves bill to curb international organized crimes08:13 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- TLP chief Khadim Hussain Rizvi among 86 awarded 55-year jail sentences08:07 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Air Marshal Ahmer Shehzad appointed as Vice Chief of Air Staff07:38 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- PM Imran wants 'meaningful negotiations' with Shehbaz Sharif over CEC ...07:26 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Malala biopic director admits he still receives death threats03:39 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Prince Harry makes first public appearance since royal split03:24 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- Birthday girl Sajal Aly gets heartwarming message from Ahad Raza's mom03:06 PM | 17 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019