UNGA 74: Pakistan, Turkey call for effective measures to counter hate speech, Islamphobia
NEW YORK – Prime Minister Imran Khan has called for effective measures to counter hate speech and Islamphobia at the United Nations.
Noting the growing incidence of discrimination and violence based on religion and belief, PM Imran underscored the importance of addressing both the drivers and consequences of these phenomena.
He cautioned against attempts to denigrate revered personalities and scriptures cloaked in the right to freedom of expression and opinion.
Imran Khan said marginalisation of any community leads to radicalisation. He added that religion has nothing to do with terrorism.
High level Roundtable discussion hosted by Pakistan & Turkey on Countering Hate Speech at #UNGA. Prime Minister @ImranKhanPTI & President @RTErdogan present at the discussion. pic.twitter.com/SxQO0DDuZK— PTI (@PTIofficial) September 25, 2019
Speaking on the occasion, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said hate speech has emerged as the worst crimes against humanity. He said Muslims are the most vulnerable community to hate speech across the world. He said Muslims are being lynched for eating beef in India.
Commenting on worst human rights situation in Occupied Kashmir, President Erdogan said Kashmir has been turned into an open prison and we fear blood shed there.
He also expressed condolence over the tragic loss of life in earth quake in Mirpur and other parts of Pakistan.
- Pakistan strongly condemns anti-Islam Facebook post by Indian ...10:07 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- Hafeez quarantined in England for taking photo with 90-year-old lady ...09:10 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- Afghanistan thanks Pakistan Army chief for supporting reconciliation ...07:57 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- Pakistan Railways changes routes of some Karachi-bound trains07:37 PM | 12 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020